Getting tired of Apple Approved stores lying to customers.

G.Beard

Hi.

I wanted to Make this post because I'm outraged at the number of people who send machines to me for repair after being feed outright bullshit by these Apple stores.
This is not going to be any sort of shock to the guys reading this who repair Macs for a living but I'm really miffed so here it is.

The latest example, a MacBook 12" retina.

Customers keyboard would not respond so they took the 2015 MacBook retina to an Apple approved store.
Apple Store contacted the customer stating that they had tried a new complete top case and flex cables and it did not work. They told customer that diagnostics showed it was a logic board fault and the only option was to spend £750 on a new logic board. Clearly the customer did not want to do that so they contacted me. I advised them to get the Mac back from the store and pass it over to me. I got the machine in, opened it noticing no one had EVER been inside this machine or even touched a screw.... Put a new top case on and it worked. Apple approved fucking liars.

On another, the quote from Apple store was for a screen, board, top case etc. One tiny spot of corrosion on a capacitor on the SMC manual reset line.... ONE CAPACITOR! That was all that needed to be changed. Everything else was spotless, perfect.... Again, liars.

Another one, Apple said logic board fault / corrosion. No corrosion at all on the board and the machine just needed a battery.... More lies.

Now I know that this kind of shit is what keeps us in business but sometimes it's very annoying given the fact that the independent repair store gets a bad name with dick heads in the Apple community saying things like "don't take it to an independent store they will probably steal your RAM" when the reality is that Apple stores lie and fucking get away with it.

Last edited:

peterfixit

I agree, my customers are so happy when I tell them their repair cost is 400-600, although im happy that apple tell them that, that sets their expectations far lower and opens up their wallets because they are expecting to pay 1500-2500 for a new one