Good solder balls?

G.Beard

Hi.

I'm having trouble re-balling GPUs with Sn63/Pb37 paste and stencil because I'm finding the stencils bow. The bow in the stencil is giving me uneven balls. After the 4th attempt I may get them right but it's not the best way to spend my time. I have an idea that using ready made solder balls might be the solution.

Can anyone recommend me some good solder balls?

dukefawks

Administrator
Reballing GPUs? I hope you are not reusing old garbage? Any leaded balls should be fine, just get a bottle with 250K balls.

G.Beard

Reballing GPUs? I hope you are not reusing old garbage? Any leaded balls should be fine, just get a bottle with 250K balls.

No way man, I like an easy and profitable life... An easy life to me is doing the job properly the first time so I don't have to waste time later for free.

I read on the AR forum that the nvidia chips such as the N13P-GT-W-A2 fail when you get closer leaded AL temps and that it's better to use Sn63/Pb37 and reduce the peak temp for the replacement chip reflow. I have not done an nvidia yet but have a few machines ready to go after I have tested with one of my own boards.

My current profile does not take zone one higher than 230°C and so far with the leaded balls I have had 100% success with the AMD chips 216-0810005 but when I say 100%.... That's out of 3.

Here is my current (first ever) profile for 820-2915 boards with un-leaded balls, would you mind taking a look and letting me know if / where it needs improving please?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 12.25.26 (2).png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 12.25.26 (2).png
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Why are you taking it up to 230C with leaded balls? Just let the temp ramp up until the chip settles and floats then turn off the heat. I never use profiles. Just make sure it ramps up to reflow in <2 minutes or the flux will be gone before reflow temp is reached.

G.Beard

Why are you taking it up to 230C with leaded balls? Just let the temp ramp up until the chip settles and floats then turn off the heat. I never use profiles. Just make sure it ramps up to reflow in <2 minutes or the flux will be gone before reflow temp is reached.

Sorry, typo. corrected now (un-leaded).
No profiles?... Hm, OK I'll play with that on some donor boards.