JBC JT-1D Pre-Purchase Survey

TexpertLLC

I am happy to report that our shop has finally earned it's way into being able to afford a JBC hot air station. The JBC people in St. Louis say the JBC JT-1D is the same as the former (discontinued) JBC JT-1A. Can anybody share personal experience using the newer JBC JT-1D? Are there other protector shields that we should pickup for Mac repair in addition to ones that come with this package? Thanks in advance for any insight. :cool:

Attachments

• photo875.jpg
    photo875.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 1

SMMRepair

Any particular reason you're looking to spend the money on the JBC when you can get a Weller WHA900 for $600? Genuinely curious.

TexpertLLC

Well based on some of the discussion on here the JBC seems to have no drawbacks (except cost) where I have read complaints, or disappointments in the overall experience of using both Weller and Hakko comparable products. Whatever we buy, our shop will need use this hot air station every day, and I would rather it not have any annoying drawbacks.

I guess I am thinking of it as a long-term investment, one that will pay for itself in roughly 7 liquid damage repair jobs. I have 2 waiting for repair right now, so that's only 5 more. Of course if you buy direct from JBC these hot air stations are much cheaper than what you will find them on Amazon for (at least for now) not sure, but that may be a little known secret or something. They are going for only $2140 on the JBC site, where on Amazon they are listed at $3800 used. I even spoke with JBC about that, and they say that's absurd because they have never sold for that much even new.

I do use a Weller WX1 soldering station with micro soldering pencil and I am quite happy with it, the JBC soldering stations look even nicer though, but I am not going to buy another soldering station just to be buying one.

The other thing I really like about JBC is the available, knowledgable, and friendly sales reps. I called and there was no recording, just an actual human being. Also they are made in the U.S. and JBC is a U.S. based company. Plus they seem to hold their resell value very well should I need or decide to get out of this business.

Thanks for discussion, feel free to respond, we are here to learn from one another hopefully.

Last edited:

dr. moast

Hi,

we use both JT-1A and JT-1D stations in our repair center and I have never seen any better hand-held hotair tool than those. We also only use JBC tools for micro soldering (especially the NA-SE) and they are absolutely superior to any other tool we have had and worked with. The JT-1D is a lot less noisy than the JT-1A and has a few improvements, such as easier nozzle replacing.

We bought the JT-1A as a set with all the shields and stuff but we never really used them. For Mac repair, you don't need any of them. As the kit is far more expensive than only the station, I would really recommend to buy only the station. Believe me, nobody needs these shields.

I hope I could help.

TexpertLLC

Thanks for the help. I already bought the kit, and yeah that was about $400 wasted I guess. Oh well I am still stoked to have the JT-1D. I will check out JBC micro soldering tools next time I'm in the market.