Macbook Air - 820-3435

vaswaniraj

Hi Duke / Louis,
I received a Macbook Air which was not turning ON. Customer complained that her daughter spilled very little liquid on it. I opened the computer and also watched a video by Louis that how a trackpad can make a Macbook Air not turn on. I followed the instructions and saw that there was a corrosion under the trackpad and also discovered that the cable those are connected to the trackpad, not the one that goes to the keyboard and the logic board, but the two cables that are on the side of the trackpad, out of which one was cut. So I decided to change the trackpad which I bought a new trackpad, with which the computer comes on but now the trackpad pointer keeps jumping and different places, and sometimes it stops working. The click does not work. Other than the corrosion there is no corrosion anywhere on the board. What else can I check in order to make the trackpad work. Please advice.

vaswaniraj

One of the cable has a little corrosion. Let me try changing the cable. If that does not help, I will have to contact back. I will have to order a new cable, so I feedback will only be next week. Thanks. Raj.

vaswaniraj

Hi Duke, Aprendiz and members of the forum.
Continuing with this topic, I changed the cable as was advised by aprendiz. Now a different issues has come up. The trackpad and the keyboard does not respond. I connected an external keyboard and a mouse to the Macbook Air and when I go to System Preferences and click Trackpad, it says that the Trackpad was not found. When I go to Language & Region, then the Macbook Air detects the external keyboard when it asks to press keys next to the Shift Key. Can anyone advice where to look for in order to make the Trackpad and the Keyboard working again.

vaswaniraj

Hi Aprendiz,
Sorry for responding so late.
Here are the voltages that you had asked me to check on J4800
Pin 10 - 3.35 V
Pin 14 - 5.16 V
Pin 19 - 3.42V

vaswaniraj

Louis and Aprendiz,
I tried to press the option key and then turn the Macbook Air on 820-3435, but the option key does not take the Macbook Air into a different screen and also the Caps key does not work. The voltages on Pin 10, 19 and 20 have been mentioned in my previous post. Is there any possibility of fixing this keyboard and trackpad on this Macbook Air. Please advice.

vaswaniraj

Well, the keyboard is original, but i had to change the trackpad as one of the cables on the trackpad - the two tiny connectors on the side - one connector ribbon cable had broken. Hence i changed the trackpad.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
1) The keyboard is not working properly.
2) This is a spill damaged laptop where the spill most likely went through the keyboard.
3) You are still using the original keyboard.

I'll let these three facts sit here for as long as it takes for you to tell me why this isn't working.

vaswaniraj

Hi Louis,
I have ordered a new keyboard, which later I will plug it and see if that solves the issue of Keyboard and Trackpad working back to normal.
I shall leave this open till I get my new keyboard and then we shall continue with our chat.
Thanks .

vaswaniraj

Hi Louis, I received the new keyboard and changed the keyboard. After replacing the keyboard still the trackpad does not work, neither does the trackpad work. The fan is spinning at a very high speed than normal. Can you please help me out. I am lost and confused of what to do next. Please advice.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
The trackpad doesn't work. The trackpad is next to the keyboard which had water on it. What's next?

Try a different trackpad!!

'm going to beat logic into you if it kills me.

G.Beard

Well, the keyboard is original, but i had to change the trackpad as one of the cables on the trackpad - the two tiny connectors on the side - one connector ribbon cable had broken. Hence i changed the trackpad.

If you have changed the trackpad and keyboard and cable and stil have the same problems, I would start in open board view looking at j4800 and work back (check the connector for corrosion inside first).

Since you have what looks to be the correct voltages on pins 10, 14, 19 maybe have a look around U4810 / Q4800 / Q4860 area and anyhing else connecting.

---

Had an old 3023 in today with the same problem. There was no clever deduction involved in repairing it, I relaced the USB controler bacuase it looked important to the T-PAD / KB.

Last edited:

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
50/50 the trackpad cable being used is for a different model. Count the number of pins on the trackpad cable, then count the number of pins on the trackpad connector on the board.