Making a master asd drive

PhilipC

Hi up until now I've been using a thumbdrive and loading whatever asd i need at the time. As you can imagine this takes a ton of time.
I've seen louis use an ssd with all the asd's on, could anyone help me on how to make one?

I've tried partitioning in disk utilities but it's useless and just gives me different errors everytime. Any help would be appreciated thank you

dukefawks

Administrator
First create as many partitions as you need of the correct sizes, 100MB for EFI and 5-6GB for OS version. Then just restore the DMGs the those partitions.

Alan.L

you get errors because you are using a thumbdrive as they have partition limit.

try on a 2.5" drives.

PhilipC

Hi, spent the whole day messing around in disk utilities have finally got the 16 partitions, which is apparently the max. So I have formatte a 2.5" ssd for the OS asd's and macos installers and a thumbdrive for EFI asd's.

Only problem now it that some of the OS and EFI asd's show up in the "boot menu" as "EFI BOOT" and not their name. I have tried renaming them in finder but seems to have no effect any ideas?

peterfixit

simple, dont use efi, just have 1 installer for el capitan (for compatability) 1 full el capitan install for testing, and all the ASD os, in the boot menu it will show what you have named the partitions as, mine are like 3s156 3s162 etc

PhilipC

Same problem in ASD OS a couple of the partitions comes up as "EFI BOOT" no matter what i name the partitions in diskutility they stick to their original names

peterfixit

then start with one big partition and shrink as needed, im aware the partition map needs to be GUID

Attachments

• 2017-05-30 09.07.07 pm.png
    2017-05-30 09.07.07 pm.png
    190.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2017-05-30 09.07.16 pm.png
    2017-05-30 09.07.16 pm.png
    260.1 KB · Views: 0

PhilipC

I've already got past the partitioning of the drive and have all the dmg restored.
But when I boot in the menu some say "ASD OS 3Sxxx" and some say "EFI BOOT" so I dont know which ones they are. No matter what i name the partition in disk utilities it still comes up in the boot menu as "EFI BOOT" or whatever its orignal name was.

dukefawks

Administrator
If you are testing this on an antique machine they will show the newer partitions as EFI boot for some reason.

dukefawks

Administrator
Dunno if it is pre 2010, but somewhere they changed something that made some newer partitions show up as EFI BOOT.

PhilipC

Found a work around, Just added icons to the partitions with their names. Still weird that renaming them does nothing though

Attachments

• 18902184_1515824991772252_1009347097_n.jpg
    18902184_1515824991772252_1009347097_n.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1