Owner telling me MacBook Air need new SMC even though it switches on? Let me explain

leonattpcs

820 3437 - It switches on and switches off randomly from what I am told. It has not been brought to me yet, but the person says that "someone ran something on it" and it needs a new SMC. I have not done anything with SMC's yet, but from what I know if there is a problem with the SMC in any way it wouldn't even switch on would it? Another thing I am told is that the fan spins at high speed all the time which I understand from past experience is a sensor issue or the computer cannot see something connected to it?
Thanks for you time.

SMMRepair

I can't speak to the exact issue you're having, but the SMC can be bad/damaged in such a way that the unit will turn on, but other functions are not working properly. I've had several cases of an SMC being corrupt/damaged and not charging the battery, or the battery level indicator cable (on older Pros) not working properly, or power-on issues (having to hold the power button for several seconds to turn unit on), etc. Mass sensor failure is another one that can be the SMC (normally you'll see the unit fails 5+ sensor tests).

I'd check the area around the SMC well, then of course run ASD (provided you can get it to boot to ASD). Also check the trackpad/trackpad-cable, DC-In board/cable, etc.

leonattpcs

No problem, I will be looking at it when it comes in but how can ASD be run? From the computer switching on and running it from USB? As far as I know, all functions are OK when it is on.
Thanks