People love sodomizing shit

Nick

i mean, there's a special place in hell for this

6okKlRi.jpg

iambehr

Someone try to replace a USB port themselves?
I had one a few weeks ago that tried to replace a dc input jack. Ended up burning the board so badly that the fiberglass carbonized and became conductive enough to cause a short. I had to take a 1/4" drill bit to it to remove all of the shorting.

Nick

Someone try to replace a USB port themselves?
I had one a few weeks ago that tried to replace a dc input jack. Ended up burning the board so badly that the fiberglass carbonized and became conductive enough to cause a short. I had to take a 1/4" drill bit to it to remove all of the shorting.

man that happened to me as well. idiot replaced the power jack on a laptop and it burned trough the board. Dremel did nothing. had to drill away the positive pole and solder a jumper wire to the fuse. Thanks Ifixit. more stuff for me

ALB-Repairs

No Title

an 820-3330, they snapped the PCH die whilst removing the motherboard, then powered it on causing some fire and 2 internal PCB shorts.

The worst part is i had another a week later, 820-3332 that someone somehow ripped the PCH die off, The GPU, GPU fest and GPU supply were all fried too, as well as more internal shorts.

in the few years ive done this, a snapped chipset die has only occurred twice and is simply the most ridicules situation ive ever come across.
Did i win?

my pet hate is gold and silver thermal compounds, and excessive application of thermal paste, i see it way too much...

Attachments

• photo1241.jpg
    photo1241.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Arctic silver is cancer and totally not suitable for the type of heat sink that is used in these laptops. Heat sinks that cover more than 1 chip are not very accurate and will not sit perfectly flat on the chips. This is why the more "chunky" paste is used to fill in the voids.

Nick

an 820-3330, they snapped the PCH die whilst removing the motherboard, then powered it on causing some fire and 2 internal PCB shorts.

The worst part is i had another a week later, 820-3332 that someone somehow ripped the PCH die off, The GPU, GPU fest and GPU supply were all fried too, as well as more internal shorts.

in the few years ive done this, a snapped chipset die has only occurred twice and is simply the most ridicules situation ive ever come across.
Did i win?

my pet hate is gold and silver thermal compounds, and excessive application of thermal paste, i see it way too much...

Holy fucking shit... unbelievable... people using guides online to improve the thermal of their machines? Gamers? I expect these shit from Linus tech tips, not from customers holy hell

smiba

No Title

It seems like every week I receive at least once sodomized laptop

Had this one in today, they managed to pull the screw hole for the SSD.
Bonus: They tried to get it back on with hot glue

Issue was thankfully not related to that and the laptop is happily working already :)

Attachments

• photo1243.jpg
    photo1243.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1

gcain

We should start a "Wall of Shame". :D I think we've all seen some back yard hacks, could end up being funny.

I had a MacBook come through awhile back that looked like it had been opened with a chisel.

Nick

another stuff. this guy tried to replace his on/off button on his own. ended up ripping the trace while leaving only the ground ones. figure it out

nZqizsF.jpg

dzNiwgF.jpg

G.Beard

I would like to introduce another catagory to this. Amazing packaging
Please add to this if you can out stupid my customers :) ..... If only I took pictures of the worst ones I had seen.

Anyway, here is todays. One carrier bag:

SAM_7531.JPGSAM_7533.JPG

Nick

I would like to introduce another catagory to this. Amazing packaging
Please add to this if you can out stupid my customers :) ..... If only I took pictures of the worst ones I had seen.

these people vote and have kids.

not as big as the other one but still funny. guy said his laptop burned his power block and the replacement one after he brought his dead pc to a Chinese repair shop

UGxwiyZ.jpg

they didn't even solder it. It is just a big glunk of hot glue. they dind't even try

G.Beard

A MacBook repairing plumber thought he could fix his audio by taking a drill to the headphone jack... you just can't make it up....

SAM_7552.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_7552.JPG
    SAM_7552.JPG
    412.7 KB · Views: 1
  • SAM_7549.JPG
    SAM_7549.JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 1

G.Beard

It seems like every week I receive at least once sodomized laptop

Had this one in today, they managed to pull the screw hole for the SSD.
Bonus: They tried to get it back on with hot glue

Issue was thankfully not related to that and the laptop is happily working already :)

I had one like this a couple of weeks ago. The pad was stuck to the board with Pritt stick

gcain

Customer Said: "MBP is over heating and reboots often."

Open case, MLB is missing a couple screws... Turn the board over, has one screw holding the heatsink on. /groan
Of course, the board is an 820-2915; because they deal with heat really well. /s

The thing is, this was done by another shop!

smiba

No Title

The thing is, this was done by another shop!

I'm always more afraid after a customer says "Another store tried to fix it but they coudn't" then when they say "Yeah I tried to fix it myself but it didn't help"
Because the store probably got the tools to mess it up real good, while the customer probably just placed it in rice lol

Anyways not really sodomized by customer or store but felt like posting this closeup anyways :)

Attachments

• photo1415.jpg
    photo1415.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 1