PFM006 code from apple diagnostics

rmd

howdy, I've been arguing with a board all day long, and I've got most of everything fixed but this SMC error. does anyone know what the difference between PFM001 or 006 or 003 is?

rmd

it's an 820-3588 (late 2013 imac), I'll give you a rundown on what I've done so far. I'm the first person to take a crack at this board, no liquyid damage or anything, just got dropped off stone dead.
u7600 and q6970 were bad, got it up and running but SMC and audio errors. replaced u610 and SMC, and now I'm finally getting no errors with diagnostics, but I can't boot to anything but diagnostic. booting off internet recovery just reboots after a few minutes halfway through the download, and booting off USB installer boots really slowly and eventually hangs up after

imac.local com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.202) <Error>: Failed to bootstrap path: path = /Library/LaunchAgends, error = 2: no such file or directory)

a few lines earlier I get
busy timeout [240s] kextd wait (0): "IGPU'

but I'm kind of at a loss for troubleshooting the GPU on this, since my schematic is right but my brd is for an 820-3302-a and they don't really line up that well.

dukefawks

Administrator
Run ASD 3S157 to see the sensor that is failing. I don't even have that one so good luck finding it. I doubt 3S155 will work....

rmd

didn't even realize there was an ASD for this pile of crap, but here we go

Chipset (test 1) - Management Engine Presense Test
-verifies the presence of the Management Engine.
ERROR-not found

and VR3R sensor is reading low. schematics has it labeled u5520, but I don't have any u5520 in my 820-3302 boardview so I'm gonna need you to hold my hand on this one

rmd

yes, and I got Chipset (test 1) - Management Engine Presense Test
-verifies the presence of the Management Engine.
ERROR-not found

and VR3R, which I can't physically locate because I don[t have the right brd for this board

rmd

doubtful, I am 99% sure that I cracked the seal on this originally. I'll pop the chip and scrub the ME region, yes? any idea about solving the VR3R issue?

dukefawks

Administrator
I have no idea what VR3R is. Backup the old ME it may be another issue. No schematic mentions VR3R that I have. Usually ASD EFI gives some sort of description what it is.

rmd

it's the vsense for 3v3_s5, pg 49 of schematics

Sensor- Voltage (VR3R) -- VR 3.3v (test1) sensor test
-verifies that the sensor reads within the sensor limits.
ERROR - sensor is reading below the low limit.

rmd

on a side note, cant find a dump of this BIOS that isn't through a paywal, is there a place I can post this for future people? didn't see anything in the forum rules about posting BIOS dumps

dukefawks

Administrator
The voltage sensor is a simple resistor from 3v3_s5 straight into the SMC. So if the resistor is good and traces are good the SMC will be dead.

A BIOS dump will not help you as you need a "clean" ME region. There are many sites that explain how to do this. I do not have one ready for 3588 board.

I somehow doubt that the ME is bad as it does not "just" happen. You might want to check out the circuit around Q1920 as that can disable the ME to allow it to be flashed during an EFI update.

rmd

what I meant is that I'd like to post a cleaned dump for other people, since I couldn't find one online, but I wasn't sure if that was against the rules of the forum. I'm off for the day but I'll get back tomorrow

rmd

drain of q1920 is high, what I *think* is r1921 is fine. do you have any idea where the heck R5526 may be located? I can't find its analogue in the 3588 schematic anywhere, so I don't even know where to start looking

rmd

cleaned and swapped the SPI and the SMC from a donor board, and I'm still getting the same two errors in ASD. anything else I can check?

rmd

omg, I'm a certifiable retarded, misread schematic and thought drain was an _L on q1920. I'm getting 4.5V, 3.3, and 4.4v on pins 1 2 and 3, so I'm guessing since SPI_DESCRIPTOR_OVERRIDE_L is high, this fet is open when it should be closed, ie. bad fet?
swapped fet, still failing test. I'm getting mighy burnt out on this stupid machine

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Did you check the voltage after R5526, should be 3v3? I have no idea with the ME with these machines, never done one of them.

rmd

I can't figure out *where* r5526 is, the 820-3302 doesn't seem to have this at all. on the schematic it says "U5000.A7:10mm ", does that mean it should be right beside the SMC?