[SOLVED] 2010 MacBook Air 11" 820-2796-A No sleep when lid closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrbailey

Had some very minor liquid exposure/damage. There was some corrosion around the trackpad cable and J5700. This was cleaned up and cable was replaced with a known working cable.

Passes EFI HW tests.

Only issue I can find is that it will not go to sleep with the lid closing, otherwise it works perfect. I can even put it to sleep manually, through the OS.

SMC_LID is ~ 3.3v with lid open and lid closed.

I am at a loss. I have searched old topics, but most don't have this situation. And those that do, they as a question, the Duke asks them for more info and then they never respond back...

I would love to have some guidance on where to even start looking...

Thank You for any help.

wrbailey

J6955 never came close to any liquid, is this know to go bad? Any way to test that switch? I guess it could be the connector, J5700, as there was some corrosion on pin3 for SMC_LID?

wrbailey

Well, hopefully the connector is the culprit... I removed it and there is shiz all under it... will update once I replace with a harvested connector...

gcain

Have you tried with a known good IO board?

Maybe the reed switch is faulty. Test with a strong magnet.

dukefawks

Administrator
You measure resistance from SMC_LID to 3V42, should be around 100K. Then check R6961. If that is all ok then either Hall sensor is fucked or the trace to the SMC, or the SMC even.

wrbailey

So R6961 is basically measuring 0 ohm, however I measure the resistance on j5700 from pin 12 (SMC_LID) to pin 13(PPBUS_G3H) and it is 0L... does that mean a broken trace somewhere?

Thanks!

*** Just remeasured and I do get 98 k-ohm from pin 12 to pin 13...***

Last edited:

wrbailey

Correct me if I am wrong, but between two points of the same "signal", like GND to GND, in diode mode, it should be close to 0.000 correct? Like for instance, I measure from GND to GND and it is 0.000

however when I measure from SMC_LID at R6961 to SMC_LID on pin 12 on the trackpad connector, I get like 1.43V... just as a test, to make sure I didn't sound like a compete moron, I measured from a pp3v42 pad to pp3v42 and it again was 0.000

But was does this mean as far as board issue?

wrbailey

It was a bad trace from the pin 12 (SMC_LID) to the open pad for SMC_LID next to R6961

I just had to run a wire and all is well! Thanks!

Just as an FYI for those who still mess with the 2010-2011 11" MacBook Air models... The IO/Audio board from 2010 will work in a 2011 model... BUT!!! Not the other way around. All connections looks the same, and the are, but there are differences in the audio chipset that will make it not work 100% in the 2010 machine. It kept the audio output as the headphone jack, but even the sound from headphones, when plugged in was low and full of static. Swapped the i/o boards back and both machines worked perfectly!! Rookie mistake, I guess. Hope this info can help others driving themselves crazy!

Please mark as closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.