[SOLVED]820-00165 No Power when I/O Cable is plugged in

JohnB8812

This one has me weirded out. Came in with liquid damage to the back of the board and JTAG connector. Removed JTAG and repaired the ALLSYS area U1950 and resistors near it etc. The board gets a green light and no fan spin if the I/O Cable is attached. HOWEVER, if I unplug the I/O cable, I don't get a green light, but I DO get fan spin and the computer boots up. The internal cable had a red indicator, so I tried my known good I/O cables to see if any change, and I STILL get no fan spin but a green light that turns orange. I tried with multiple known good DC in boards and cables, and I still get the same issue. I inspected J9500 but it looks absolutely clean as can be.

A little history on this board: the board was liquid damaged but the front side of the board was completely clean. The backside looked perfect from about the BIOS chip to the right including the SMC area. The left side left a lot to be desired U1950 and ALL SYS are especially. Could this be an issue with crap under the CPU/SMC or anything like that or where do I begin?

JohnB8812

Actually scratch that, it turns on IF a battery is plugged in. Won't power on with only the plugging in the charger. Will run off charger if I unplug the battery, but otherwise no power.

JohnB8812

Ok so this has been on the charger around 15-20 minutes and I still get no power. To recap: WITH the battery plugged in I get a green light and a fan spin but it only shows a battery charging icon in the middle of the display (does recognize there is a charger). However, the battery has not charged at all and has yet to power on the device fully. The charger alone doesn't do anything. I'm guessing that would mean the ISL is dead?

Edit: Finally turned on but battery took a LONG time to get any charge.

Last edited:

JohnB8812

Drive does not boot fully (thinking its a fucked drive) so will report back after I get a test drive to make sure it charges and all that fun stuff

JohnB8812

With known good SSD, it boots into an OS normally. Ran internal diagnostics and it passed every single test. Still doesn't turn on if no battery plugged in and only charger but it functions like a normal Mac otherwise lol is this something I should worry about for a warranty return or anything or should I just say its good?

dukefawks

Administrator
If it charges and recognizes the charger with the correct wattage then I would not mess with it further.

JohnB8812

Ok cool good deal. Yeah it says 85 watt in the system report (Using 85 OEM) and it charges and recognizes the battery. Good to go then at least I fixed ALLSYS and it works now! Mark as solved