[SOLVED]820-2879 Beeping, no image (not RAM issue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XooP

Got this MacBook Pro Mid 2010. No sign of water damage. Was working somewhat when I got it but it would suddenly stop responding with black screen until i turned it off and on again.
After reinstalling the OS and using it for a bit it hang again and now it beeps and the led blinks when i turn it on.
All power rails seems fine.

Any idea about whats going on with this one?

XooP

I think it was four or five beeps and the silent. I have replaced the BIOS now and it booted up fine. My problem now is that my only 820-2879 donor board was missing the BIOS chip and i pulled one of a 2010 White logic board instead. Is there a way to re-flash this BIOS inside the computer? I don't have any flashing hardware. The computer is working, but I would like it to say "MacBook Pro Mid 2010" instead of "MacBook Mid 2010" in "about this computer"

XooP

Short luck, it has started freezing again, seems like it's worse when it gets a bit warm.

XooP

Just an update for those interested.
So I have been troubleshooting a bit more on this one.
First of all, there was more than one thing wrong with this computer.
The BIOS was most definitely dead, i tried switching back and the beeping started again, nine in total, three short, followed by three long and then three short again.
The thing that made the computer freeze was actually the LVDS cable, when fiddling with the computer I accidentally touched the cable and it froze, after that i could recreate my problem whenever i wanted :).

So I have changed the LVDS cable and the MacBook Pro is now running with a non-Pro BIOS in it.

So my main problem in this thread is solved, now I just need a new BIOS : )

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Buy and EZP2010 or TL866. I don't see how the LCD cable can freeze the machine. Common is the metal sponge on the airport cable that shorts out on the connector because of the missing tape on the connector. Remove the metal sponge to be sure.

XooP

This thread can be marked as solved as I have replaced the BIOS and everything is ok with this one now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.