[SOLVED]820-3435 recognizes, charges battery but not running off it

Status
Not open for further replies.

ytesfay80

I have to turn this machine on with the charger and when I get to the login screen I can see the charger says 100% and the lighting bolt in middle of the bar that shows it's charging. I am waiting on the customer to give me the password so I can be sure the battery is charging. I've tried two batteries and both did the same thing.

As soon as I remove the charger the computer shuts off immediately.

I watched Louis' video on this issue but that was on a Macbook Pro.

With the battery plugged in without the charger I checked PPVBAT_G3H_CONN and got around 0.075v. I don't know if it should be that low.

I'm not sure where to check next.

dukefawks

Administrator
Just boot off external drive. I bet the battery is dead and condition will be on "replace now" First thing to try is another battery of course.

ytesfay80

Booting from external drive wasn't working but anyways I got the password and logged in.
Once I logged in the battery percentage says 0% and battery not charging. I tried with two different batteries(one new) and both showed the same thing.

Below are some images of the power information page.

With the battery and the charger unplugged from the board I did some tests

Resistance mode
R7151 - 2.4ohms
r7152 - 0.4ohms

Diode mode
Pins 17/18 of U7100(isl6259) - 0.145

aprendiz

Measure resistance between pin 17 and 18 from U7100 should be about 3 ohm, if this is ok, then bad ISL, diode mode reading seems too low...

ytesfay80

I got about 2.8 ohms between pins 17 and 18 so I replaced U7100 with one from a donor board and I still have the same issue.

After replacing the ISL6259 I get 2.5ohms between pins 17/18 and the diode mode readings on pins 17 and 18 are 0.142. R7121/R7122 also measure fine.

Should I also replace R7151/R7152 even though they measure fine?

Last edited:

ytesfay80

Also forgot to note that this machine has no green light even though it boots up fine(p3v42_g3h and smc_bc_acok are present). On the power board cable I can see a couple of the pins are damaged on the I/O board side. I have a new one coming in tomorrow so I can see if that is the issue.

Would that have anything to do with the battery not charging though?

Last edited:

ytesfay80

Alright I'll update when it arrives. If replacing the I/O Board doesn't work will this most likely be a SMC issue because I do see some red probe points around the smc area?

ytesfay80

So i just received the I/O board today and realized that I had ordered the one for the 13 inch model instead of the 11 inch. It will be a few more days for the 11 inch IO to come in.
In the meantime will I do damage to my board if I plug in the 13 inch IO board?

ytesfay80

I received the correct I/O Board and that solved this issue. I have a light on the charger and the machine charges and runs off the battery. Thanks guys

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
if you ever don't feel like waiting realize you can just run a jumper wire for smc_bc_acok, pp3v42_g3h, and sys_onewire from dc in board to mainboard. i am not saying this is ideal but if you have a fuckface that refuses to wait as happens to me many times on older boards where i do not have dc board/dc board cable handy, i can at least get an idea. the pins on the connector to corrode are usually those ones.

also smc_lid.

look at the onewire circuit on the 820-3115, the u6901 and u6900, then look at an air dc in board.. it should click that these are the same shit

Status
Not open for further replies.