[SOLVED]820-3787 No power after sleep

Ryanlen2

Hi. I have 15" Retina with 820-3787 board that functions normally (green/orange light, boots, charges, etc..) Last night while it was fully functional I closed the lid on it to put it to sleep. This morning I came in and there is no green/orange light on charger and wouldn't turn on. The only way to get it turn back is to disconnect and reconnect the battery. After this everything works normal again. This happened numerous times. No liquid damage. Any idea where to start?

Thank you, have a good one!

SMMRepair

That sounds like a different issue...is your battery known-good? Does the board pass ASD? Bad CPU should not cause a charger light issue, typically.

Ryanlen2

Update

So I guess this pretty much happens when ever power goes down beyond a certain point while on battery. If I let it go to sleep or shut the machine down while on battery, I cant turn it back on or do I get a green light unless I disconnect the battery, drain power and reconnect the battery. Then it starts back up.

Have a good night/day!

Update 2 - Reballed SMC - now 9/10 in constant boot loop with crash error GPU panic as well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/20Giqx42lssPSk6E2

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
I'm not seeing a GPU crash. Window server crashed which is pretty generic and can be caused by anything and everything. I honestly have no clue what this could be. Possibly damaged SMC while reballing, these SMCs popcorn pretty easily when cleaning up or recalling. Be very conservative with heat and give it time.

Ryanlen2

Yea... Looks like I sent you the wrong pic.
Thanks Duke.

Im more concerned with the no power on/no green light with battery only for now. I reballed SMC to possibly fix the isdue. I dont have a donor with an SMC on it to use at the moment so...

Last edited:

Ryanlen2

I'd like to revisit this post... I am afraid I misinterpreted the issue i am having therefore I did not post correct info... Here is a video of what it is doing.
Basicly, it will not turn on from battery unless I unplug it from board and hold down power button to drain power left in board. Once that is done i can plug battery back into the board and it will power on again.
Thanks.

-----------> https://photos.app.goo.gl/g888OHnKEtdE2k7i1

dukefawks

Administrator
I would still have doubts about that SMC. Maybe could be an issue on SMC_RESET too which is crashing the SMC. X-tal may also be suspect, as already said this will suck.

Ryanlen2

Hey Duke!
Donors came in for this today. Swapped SMC, and everything seems OK. Which Im very happy it is, cuz Im been getting raped by these boards so much lately that my next post may have been my fucking suicide note! :D

Have a good one man.

Last edited: