[SOLVED]A1466 emc 2559 - dong loop after failed external drive boot

Joesipaq

Switched with a doaner ROM, Booted to folder with ?. Great start. SSD in disk utility said it was an APFS Container.
I am now getting an error with High Sierra that the application is damage and cant be used to install macOS. That is odd... I have. the originally installers for Sierra and High Sierra on my shop macbook that I used to make the install thumbdrives. I guess they could be bad/made wrong? Or, back to the SSD possibly being flakey?

Installing Sierra (not high) cause it seems to be going fine again. Will report back if BIOS corrupts again

dukefawks

Administrator
You should install 10.11 first and let it flash the EFI, then update to newest OSX. Also you cannot just leave the donor chip there as now your ME region is messed up. Upload your original BIOS and the donor one if you do not know how to transfer the ME region.

Joesipaq

OK, confirmed that both boards had corrupted ROM. Ideas as to why? Both happened during clean installs to sierra.
Sierra (same pen drive and installer from before) Installed and worked fine after.
Tried to go from sierra to High Sierra, said there was a problem and couldn't install at the end (sdd related?)

After trying to install Sierra again, bios went corrupt, and I have been fighting with it. Tried a different bios chip from a doaner but same issues. - This is all on the original board.

Joesipaq

You should install 10.11 first and let it flash the EFI, then update to newest OSX. Also you cannot just leave the donor chip there as now your ME region is messed up. Upload your original BIOS and the donor one if you do not know how to transfer the ME region.

Thanks a bunch Duke, a couple month ago I asked about that video where Luis did it, seemed pretty streight forward and worked ok for me - KRID area to 17D000 block size pasted/written to OK bios.BIN. Yeah, shitty cliff-notes version. But that's the idea right?

So... 10.11 first, Let flash EFI, then update.
I tried that first, copied the high sierra app to the desktop and ran it, but that is where it gave out and said there was a problem. Back to 10.11 and corrupt bios.

Joesipaq

ok, so, with my spare board, in a spare test housing - with the same ssd and sierra install thumbdrive
boot into installer, try to install and i get the error
This copy of the Install macOS Sierra application is damaged, and can't be used to install macOS.

Then after rebooting the Bios is corrupt.

Both boards, same ssd, same installer. I have re-made the installer thumb drive just in case.

I don't have a test/shop SSD to try out yet :(

Opinions?

smiba

Well I'd say your sierra installation is corrupted or even malicious, where did you get it from? I highly doubt under normal conditions it can damage the BIOS in a way it requires to be reflashed.

If you compare the bios dump before the sierra install and the (corrupted) bios dump after the sierra install. Does anything major change (outside of the ME region)?

Other thing I can think about is that the SSD is simply damaging data and your boot sector or even partition map gets corrupted.

Last edited:

Joesipaq

smiba,
Thanks for dropping by! Haha I see you on here a bit giving some great advice too.

The sierra installer is from the app store just before high sierra came out. Same with HS.

I did have the installer work fine at the beginning of the day with sierra, and previously with other updates from earlier systems. I just had the bios go corrupt again, and will check out where the difference are. there were somthing like 60k+ between the corrupted and good (with the correct ME region) Tomorrow morning I will check that out again

Joesipaq

Ok. Feeling stupid for not trying this before. Pulled SSD, Stuck in Sierra installer usb - Said it was damaged an could not install. Rebooted with High Sierra installer usb - hung during loading apple bar and corrupted BIOS for reboot. - So, not the ssd... Has to be the install medium now. The only thing consistent between everything tried until now.

Look like I am dealing with shit usb sticks? They are sandisk cruzer blade 8gb - but purchased locally - so possibly counterfeit - Market here is crap.

2 questions.

1. Testing the USB sticks with CheckFlash writing pattern a few times, should be enough to know if they are good or not?
2. Making an installer USB for sierra and High Sierra - Whats the best method and download for the actual app? (been using official mac app store for app and this menthod in terminal for the boot drive https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372)

- Just noticed it says 12gb min available for the pendrive - is this the cause of all my problem? Man if so, I'm feeling like an idiot.... Before I was using Unibeast and it said 8gb min, so that's where I stared and how I originally made my installer pen drives.

Joesipaq

Thanks for the heads up on Diskmaker X. Still wouldn't install. But the program worked well for me! So... Ran some integrity w/r tests for volume on the pen drives. They checked out as ok so that's nice.

Must be the installers then... Deleted both, and redownload (took all day) but with a lan cable, not wifi. Tried installing High Sierra - first try worked like a charm. Must have been 2 corrupt install files... Odd, but lesson learned. Still need to try out Sierra to make sure it installs fine.

Thanks for your help with this odd problem and the input you guys gave - and lesson learned...

A bad installer can corrupt your BIOS and brick your mother board. I never expected that.

This can be marked as solved! You guys rock