trouble installing ASD on usb

ytesfay80

I have the file for ASD 3S156 installed on a partitioned USB stick. With the EFI 3S156.dmg file I tried doing the restore method with disk utility as the pdf file says to do. I would get an error so I just followed what louis said in a previous post to put the EFI or OS .dmg file on a partition and boot into it with the option key on startup. On startup I held the option key but the only drive that came up was the Macbooks SSD.

Here is a video of me trying to install it onto the usb https://youtu.be/RYdTpbfrUro

Sykulski

You're trying to restore the dmg file. You need to restore the mounted asd image itself. Try choosing the ASD 3S156 as source instead of the dmg-file.

ytesfay80

Okay. I tried 3 more combinations from a different 2011 MBA. The options for restoring are different than the 2013 MBA but anyways neither of them worked in restoring.

Here are the errors I got from them https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x7g5wu6f2sixbmc/AABQKetxZfZBO6-Tr5IrIlEQa?dl=0

Also, one of the errors said the disk image needs to be scanned but when I try to scan the image it doesn't work and the ASD EFI 3S156.dmg file says I have only 'read' privileges even though the other files say I have read and write privileges.

ytesfay80

I just read this somewhere and I am wondering if this has been the issue since I am using a 32GB Sandisk thumb drive

[FONT=&quot]"Can you use a FireWire hard disk or USB flash 'thumb' drive instead of a USB hard disk to start up ASD 3S119 or later?[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]No. A USB hard disk is required; ASD 3S119 or later is not designed or supported for use with any other type of media."

Update: I went and purchased a 1TB external hard drive and now when I follow the exact directions for restoring the .dmg file I get this error "Could not unmount volume /Volumes/3S156 (Resource Busy)".
[/FONT]

Last edited:

ytesfay80

I watched videos and did google searches but for some reason they were not working for me. I finally found a way to get it to work though. I had to plug two usbs to get it restore properly. Thanks