When change a MacBook battery ? My experience.

Adan

Hi everyone,

I would like to know from your experiences when do you change the battery of a MacBook. Apple recommends to change it after 1000 cycles, but personally I wait until the battery completely stop working normally (shut down the MacBook immediately after unplug, or at 30-50 %). Do you know if I take a risk by doing this (for the DC-in board, the logic board, battery swelling, or even set the MacBook in fire) ?

This is important for me, because when a client ask me for battery replacement because he MacBook tell him "replace now" the battery, I recommend him to go to Apple orI offer to change it for a second hand battery, because as you now It's hard to find new original battery. But I would like to know if I can recommend him to keep his battery until it stop working normally.

On chinese "new" batterys :
https://www.rossmanngroup.com/boards/forum/board-repair-troubleshooting/36691-a1398-2012-shutdown-at-40-battery-discharged

Last edited:

JohnB8812

Truthfully depends what model it is. Lots of the Retinas have garbage for replacement batteries, so an older battery is often better than a "new" piece of s**t.

Alan.L

change when the MacBook tell you to. so don't bother changing unless it says "replace now"," replace soon" and "not charging"

iambehr

Same. Original battery with a ton of cycles still might be more reliable than an aftermarket.
I like to try to buy original pulls that are graded A or B (for remaining capacity. Getting hard to find, however.