16" A2141 battery issues

iganas

So there seems to be a common issue with brand new A2141 16" MacBooks that were opened only once and then placed into storage for 4-6 months, only to find out later that the battery is completely dead and the only fix is to RMA or replace the battery. Some people claim to have received their 16"ers already dead on arrival straight from Apple.

A MacBook affected by this only turns on to show the battery sign, and then immediately turns off. DFU restore goes through successfully, but does not help.
Leaving to charge overnight does not help either.
I am using 87W adapter instead of 96W, which should in theory work. The original 96W is out of stock for months now and nearly impossible to get.

Has anyone figured out how to revive the battery, avoiding seemingly unnecessary waste and expense for replacing a brand new part?

iganas

Just to clarify, the macbook is in pristine condition, no liquid nor physical damage, barely used

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"I am using 87W adapter instead of 96W, which should in theory work. The original 96W is out of stock for months now and nearly impossible to get."
Make the impossible somehow...

iganas

You're right, I borrowed the 96W just today, and it turned on. However battery stays at 1% and is not charging. Never seen this on any other semi-new MacBook

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"MacBooks that were opened only once and then placed into storage for 4-6 months"
New models get dead battery if not used such long time...