3437 liquid damage not booting

arnonabuurs

Hi, I have an Air 3437 that came in with liquid damage, sometimes rebooting by itself but working. Some corrosion around R5100. Replaced R5100 (reset_l, maybe thats why it was rebooting sometimes), alsoY1915 had a tiny bit of corrosion under it, replaced it. I have orange and green light, the fan spins one time 12 seconds, reboots, and then keeps spinning high, no display. U6100 area looks OK no shorts and all R measure OK. I also have 32 on clockchip.

The board seems to have all power lines, CPU got 1.75 and 1.5 and Dram power is also there. I also have ALL_SYS_PWRGD. Tried SMS reset and Bypass, reset did nothing, bypass gives me super high fanspin but no boot. Mouse has a light on USB and I also have SMC_PM_G2_EN. I have 0v on PPHV_S0SW_LCDBKLT but both sides of the Fuse have 8.6v. Also missing is PP3V3_S0SW_LCD, no shorts on U8300, 3.3v_5S is there but no EDP_PANEL_PWR which comes from PCH. I have SMC_ADAPTER_EN as well as PM_BATLOW_L it seems SMC is running. Ideas?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Confirm if you get USB activity.
USB OSX pendrive/HDD adapter with Link LED is best option.
No reason to search video, if no USB activity.

This board restarts two times before stays on, as normal behaviour.
Try known good BIOS.

arnonabuurs

Replaced smc and fixed. The liquid spill was near smc so might have screwed it although it did spit out voltages.

I just fixed a board (820-00165-A) this week that had strange SMC behavior similar to what you had.. It would some times boot then drop out and reboot. Sometimes just drop out and require a power cycle. I re-flowed the SMC and it started working normally so I sent it out. It came back a day later and had no green light. Replaced SMC and it worked perfect. I think my SMC was on the way out and re-flowing it just bought it time.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
If no corrosion detected close to SMC, then change it directly is the best option.
However, you can inspect chip pads once removed.
If you detect something strange, can try to reflow it.
If you have enough SMC stock, change is good.

arnonabuurs

I had reflowed the SMC and reballed 2 x. I think it might have died in the proces, after replacing it all good :) thanks