820-00138-A Will not Boot off internal SSD But shows in Disk Utility

peeka79

Hi, I have a 820-00138-A board that has NO liquid Damage or no known or observed physical damage of any kind...Boots to Mojave just fine using external USB Hard Drive and once booted sees and will erase Internal SSD in Disk utility... I wiped internal SSD while running Mojave from external drive, Shut down, Did NVRAM reset and Still won?t boot off of SSD...I have tried 3 different SSDs. any Help is GREATLY APPRECIATED...Thank You in advance for Any Help :)

peeka79

Hi 2informaticos and Thank You So Much For responding. Yes...I wiped the internal SSD and have installed Both HS and Mojave while running Mojave off of USB Hard drive and the System sees and I am able to open the Internal SSD to view files only while booted Thru external drive But the Machine will not Boot or see the internal SSD even while holding down option Key at start up...I have tried 3 Separate SSDs and I did PRAM reset after install and still not recognizing SSD....I have replaced U3740 Just in case. Any Help is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

peeka79

I did that while running the Machine off of External drive...After if finished installing it was all in the Internal drive but still showed Flashing ? Folder...

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Don't run full OSX Mojave on USB pendrive.
Start with USB installer only.

Test an internal SSD pre-installed with El Capitan, from other machine.

peeka79

Okay so I Used a USB Mojave installer and it installed on the internal SSD But when it finished the install and went to reboot it just rebooted to the installer again...The SSD shows in Disk Utility But Just won?t boot to it...Just get the Flashing ? Folder...I also tried to do a fresh install of El Capitan and the internal SSD DOES NOT Show up in Disk utility with El Capitan But does in Mojave....See photos...PLEASE HELP!!!:eek:...LOL

dukefawks

Administrator
APFS problem.
Install 10.11 or 10.12 so you have a HFS+ volume. Then do an upgrade to Mojave/Catalina from inside OSX and it will update the EFI to support APFS.

peeka79

Hi Duke!!!, SO GLAD YOUR HELPING ME OUT!!!...Haven?t seen you on here for awhile...When attempt to install I El Capitan on the Machine using a USB installer the Internal SSD is not seen in Disk Utility But if I try to install Mojave in it using a Install USB It sees the SSD and allows the install but when done it only reboots to the installer or only shows ? Mark folder even if the Mojave is installed on the SSD in the Machine...How do you suggest I do the install of the 10.11 or 10.12...THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!:eek:

peeka79

It seems like Whatever I do the Device Only sees the SSD if Machine is booted from an external drive with either High Sierra or Mojave on the external drive But doesn?t see Internal SSD with El Capitan...if that makes any sense. And of course.

dukefawks

Administrator
Boot from wifi, hold shift+command+alt+R and turn on machine. It should boot to the installer from the original OS that was shipped with the machine. Can it still not see the SSD? If not open up terminal and at the prompt type: diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ SSD disk0

peeka79

Hi Duke, Thank You SO MUCH!!!...I did the terminal command and IT WORKS!!!...I INSTALLED El Capitan, Then Catalina and it?s Now Fixed! I REALLY APPRECIATE your Help and expertise on this one it was Driving Me CRAZY :eek: Thank You Again Duke...Thats Why Louis Calls You The LEGEND!...I guess someone can Mark it as Solved.