820-00163 only booting with charger connected

Outofwhack

Once booted works fine on battery including sleeping but if I shutdown and dont have charger connected it wont boot.
Where should I start?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
What is PPBUS_G3H and 3V42_G3H voltage with battery alone (when doesn't turn on)?
Is the battery charging correctly?

Outofwhack

With battery only connected
ppbus_g3h 12.8v
pp3v42_g3h 3.42v
Battery charges up fine.
No evidence of liquid damage
Tried new keyboard - no change.
Boot loops when charger connected and battery disconnected
Boots fine with charger and battery connected - new bat on order 5 days away!

Last edited:

Outofwhack

I managed to find an old genuine battery. Still doesn't boot from battery only. (well occasionally it will) Ive also tried a new keyboard.
Perhaps Ive just got a fractured board. The only thing I haven't swapped out is the trackpad.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Just in case, disconnect KB and use R5115/16 pads, instead of power button.
Be sure PCH's RTC signals have correct level.

Outofwhack

The R5115/6 pads reliably initiate boot with charger attached but not with battery only.

PPVRTC_G3H 3.42v when charger attached and same with battery only
PPVOUT_S0_PCH_DCPRTC 1.57v when using charger
PPVOUT_S0_PCH_DCPRTC 1.3v when using battery only

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
We discussed so many times about PCH's RTC signals.
And you have couple of years on the forum; can't believe you still can't find them...

Test the board alone, only battery connected (no chgarger, or any other cable).

Outofwhack

Keep your pants on - I don't come here very often at all yet I pay every month because I like to support it [but I am not enjoying it right now]
AFAIK we (you and I) have not discussed about PCH's RTC signals.
Would it not be appropriate for you to have sent me a link to where they are discussed.
Or do we all have to be familiar with the entire content of this forum? I repair perhaps 5 MacBooks a year yet your personal insult may be based on an assumption that I am reading the forum more frequently.

Also I will add: how are we supposed to search on this forum when the best the search function can do for "PCH RTC" is "The search could not be completed because the search keywords were too short, too long, or too common."

So your brief advice of "Be sure PCH's RTC signals have correct level" is not as helpful as you might think.

Has anyone ever suggested the search function should be modified to return results for certain short acronyms like pch or rtc even .

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You can find a lot of useful information on other threads in this forum; don't read only yours.
Reading the forum and taking notes, helps you to solve faster your problems.

As in all forums, internal search engine doesn't work too good.
Using google search, adding rossmann forum at the end, works better.

"your personal insult may be based on an assumption that I am reading the forum more frequently"
Wasn't intended as an insult; I apologize if you took it as that.