820-00164 (SMC Reset "Button", Supervisor & AVREF Supply) rabbit hole from hell.

820-00164 (SMC Reset "Button", Supervisor & AVREF Supply) rabbit hole from hell.

This post will show you just how little I know on these boards.

I have a 820-00164 will not get "Green Light"
H20 damage around the SMC area. I cleaned it, picked at it and reflowed any resistor that looks suspicious. Even took them off to make sure. I checked all their resistances and voltages and compared to a working board. Still no green light. So I am jumping to SMC right... Must be crud under it. I did everything possible to not mess with that chip! They eat time. So I took it off and it was perfect. No corrosion nothing. Everything was clean. Lucky for me I took it off I dragged it across a row of balls so I get to reball now.

SMC is done. looking around and measuring I notice that the SM_RESET_L is staying low. I am thinking why didn't I drop to brain mode sooner. After a few minutes of looking I get tangled around this (circuit SMC Reset "Button", Supervisor & AVREF Supply) and think it has to be something in the area. This is the only area that needed slight rework when I first started in on this board. There was a pad eaten away on R5000 and C5020. The power inputs of course. where else would water damage be.. I notice that PP3V3_S5_AVREF_SMC is 0.0V I check chip power, The PP3V3_S5_SMC & PPVIN_S5_SMCVREF are both present. Missing is the SMC_TPAD_RST_L & SMC_ONOFF_L both reading low. I decided to change the chip. U 5110 was repealed and replaced. I noticed that with the chip off the unit would green light and do a S0 bounce! I dropped on the replacement U5110 sure I had it figured out and I am the man only to discover same problem. I was looking down a rabbit hole.

Please put me on the path of righteousness and help me find my way. I am in a rabbit hole and stuck.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
As you miss both pins 5 & 8 voltage, is a problem with U5110.
Probably bad traces/pads, or bad solders.
If got SMC reaction without U5110, means no short on SMC_RESET_L, or other issue with that signal.
However, check diode mode to ground on pin8.

U5110

pin 8 is 0.540 VDC drop Compared to tester and it was similar.
I actually went around all the legs and compared with a known good tester and all were similar 1-8

After I replaced this IC U5110 I ended back at it. So I replaced it again. I have a habit of putting known good parts back on donor boards if the swap did not work. So.. I grabbed a third board and replaced it a third time just to make sure.

I am awfully tempted to run a jumper and force it high.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Forcing SMC_RESET_L is not a good idea.
Reset signal must be disabled after power rails get stable.
If not board will start randomly, not always working good.
Be sure R5100 is good too.
So needs a delay, generated by U5110; it also generates AVREF_SMC.

This problem is definitely not the chip. I can't find LB damage. I think this is a rabbit hole of some kind.
I am going to recommend LB replacement on this one and throw the board in the "Toy Box" for future torture.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Remove R7100 and see if SMC_RESET_L goes high.
If yes, change U7100.
If not, change SMC.
Do you get stable 3V at SMC_RESET_L removing U5110?