820-00165 no power, no green light

Hi there amigos
I have a 00165 here with what I thought was going to be a basic no green light repair but it's turning into a rabbit hole. There was corrosion around SMC, no much. PPBUS_G3H is low at 8.16v PP3v42 is actually just consistently 3.41.
SMC_RESET_L is on 3V
Have replaced SMC. same issue. I looked around j9500 and all looks good, reinforced the solder joints on it just in case.
Have also replaced isl6259

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You should get correct PPBUS_G3H without LIO flex connected; even no Magsafe light in such case.

Post voltage and diode mode to ground at SCL/SDA lines of battery bus.
Check components and traces continuity around SMC.
Is AVREF_SMC present?

Oh I see, that's good to know.
both lines are 0.5 in diode and 3.41 in voltage
PP3v3_S5_AVREF_SMC is 3.3 yep

All around the SMC is checking out OK, I've specifically also replaced R5100 because it looked a little toasty, but it did measure fine even before

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Post diode mode readings with 3 decimals; less than 1% difference is allowed.

Do you get 12MHz oscillation at Y5110?

think we're getting closer, there was a line break which I couldn't see between SMC_XTAL test port and R5110/Y5110
Ran jumper, still same issues but im now getting 1.1V on pin 3 of Y5110 which i guess is good news

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Do you now get 1-1.2V on both SMC_E/XTAL lines?

Try known good working SMC.
Once removed, assure to have good traces under it.

The only strange thing I've found there is that PP3v3_S5_SMC_VDDA is 3.415V just like the PP3v42 line. So PP3v42 is not quite 3.42 and PP3v3_S5_SMC_VDDA is slightly too high. Not sure if im nitpicking here but I always saw the pp3v42 line as an almost perfect 3v42 on other MacBooks

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"PP3v3_S5_SMC_VDDA is slightly too high"
Not at all; it comes directly from 3V42_G3H (L5001).

If all good there and SCL/SDA lines of battery bus work, then PPBUS_G3H (F7140), should reach 8.5V.
If not, only remain U7100 and SMC as suspects.
Be sure R7100 is good.

Does the fan start normal speed, or directly max speed?