820-00165 - No WiFi hardware installed

Sykulski

I have this 00165 that won’t detect WiFi card.

After a PRAM reset it detects and works for around 30 minutes and then goes back to not detecting. I can then make another PRAM reset and it works again for another 30 minutes and the story continues over and over.

I already tried another known good WiFi card...

Sykulski

No liquid. According to the customer WiFi just stopped working one day. No corrosion to be found after inspection. It has been to another repair shop who offered a logic board replacement. Only thing I noticed when taking apart was that the WiFi card was a little bit looser than normal when taking it out of socket connector. Probably because the other repair shop had taking the card in and out a thousand of times. I replaced the connector but problem is the same.

Sykulski

Looked clean yesterday when inspecting from the top. I’ll have a closer look at it from the side later today.

Sykulski

No corrosion at U3550. Also PP3V3_WLAN is ok at 3.3V all the time both when the machine detects but also when not detecting the WiFI card.

Sykulski

AP_RESET_CONN_L = 0 (3.3 when working)
P_CLKREQ_L = 0 (3.0 when working)
SMC_WIFI_PWR_EN = 3.4

CLK100M not present

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"P_CLKREQ_L = 0 (3.0 when working)"
Are you sure???
AP_CLKREQ_L should be low.
We don't want active reset, but we want active clok request; both have _L at the end.
Check if AP_CLKREQ_Q_L is low; must be tied to ground on airport card.
Consider changing U3540.

Sykulski

Thanks for the effort. Customer got another board. I still have this board here and I will post again if I ever get back to it....

Thanks again