820-00165

iFix

Hi.

I have this A1466 with PP5V_S4RS3 missing and also PM_SLP_S4_L missing. I have PM_SLP_SUS_L(3.3v) and PP5V_S5 5v present. I tried reflow on SMC, I replaced U7501 with no changes... No short lines all diode modes are good. I found that when plugged in only U7100 warms up to 30 degrees and stays like that. I have a green light changes to orange and stays like that, also tried with multiple original known good adapters.

Any ideas pls? Thanks

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Trigger SMC_ONOFF_L and check for drop pulse at PM_PWRBTN_L.
If not, be sure both 3V3_S5/SUS are present.
Also check PM_BATLOW_L, PCH_DSWVRMEN, PM_DSW_PWRGD, SMC_ADAPTER_EN and the 4 PCH's RTC signals.

iFix

SMC_ONOFF_L Triggering, I checked it right away.
PP3V3_S5 Diode 0.3 and 3.3v,
PP3V3_SUS diode 0.4 and 3.3v
PM_BATLOW_L diode 0.5 and 3.4v
PCH_DSWVRMEN diode 0.78 and 2.78, while measuring on pin 2 on R1450 I got a brief fan spin and it turned off :unsure:
PM_DSW_PWRGD - diode 0.7 and 3.4v
SMC_ADAPTER_EN diode 0.5 and 3.4v
PPVRTC_G3H 3.3v
RTC_RESET_L 3.3v
PCH_SRTCRST_L 3.3v
PCH_INTVRMEN_L 2.7v
PM_RSMRST_L 3.3v

iFix

Also... There was corrosion on U3210, but no short. The ship was fine, but I replaced it together with C3286/C3285 and rewire on pin 18 to the caps. Sorry I didn't start with this, maybe i should've mentioned it

iFix

When SMC_ONOFF_L is triggered PM_PWRBTN_L goes to 0.3v and comes back when the trigger is released. PM_PWRBTN_L sometimes stays at 1v when plugger in and I need to trigger SMC_ONOFF_L to get 3.4v and then the same thing

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
PM_PWRBTN_L must stay all time high (3V), unless SMC_ONOFF_L is triggered.
If not, you may have a problem with SMC, R1405, or 3V3_S5 level.
When drops from 3V to 0V, (at same time) check for pulse at PM_SLP_S4L and L7520.

iFix

PM_SLP_S4_L gets 3.3v when SMC_ONOFF_L is triggered and L7520 goes up to 5v and down to 0v. 3V3_S5 diode mode is all good and E1405 it's 1k the way it should be

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Check for pulse at all big coils.
Also check pins 1, 7 & 3 of U1950.

Just in case, test if turns on in SMC bypass mode.

iFix

U1950 diode measurement is all good and I have only 3.3v on pin 8 nothing else. SMC bypass mode starts and stops and doesn't continue with the fan at full speed. The coils when power pressed the voltages go up and come back to the initial state

iFix

With or without Q8150 now sometimes it will power on and stay on with the fan spinning all the time. When it's gonna power on I can switch it off from the power button switch on the board and power it on again. I haven't had the chance to see if it shows a picture when it powers on. I also replaced Q8150 same thing...

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
I said to remove Q8150 because you've said no pulse at all at ALL_SYS_PWRGD in previous post.
Please, post accurate information.
When it pulses, check if pin 3 of U1950 pulses too.
Also check PLT_RESET_L.

iFix

PLT_RESET_L diode mode 0.5 and it pulses to 3.3v 2 times after I plug in power, but then it goes to 0v and stays like that. U1950 pin 3 PP3V42_G3H it;s stable

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
2 pulses is the worst scenario for this board.
And we have several threads about it.
There is not a known solution; same symptom can be caused by various problems on the board.
Any history available?

You may have a problem with SPI Bus Series Termination resistors and their traces.
I fixed few boards with accumulated crap underneath PCH.
Also check all voltages from page 11.

iFix

The board came with no power and some corrosion on U3210, but no short. The chip was fine, but I replaced it together with C3286/C3285 and rewire pin 18 to the caps as mentioned before