820-00281-A 2017 15" MBP Fan Control Transistor Q6000 broken, doesn't work after resoldering

vinaypundith

I have a 2017 15" MacBook Pro motherboard (820-00281-A) where the transistor in the fan control circuit (Q6000) accidentally got broken off the motherboard while doing a board swap into a new topcase. Result was that when I turned the computer on, the left side fan would run continuously full speed. I found the component fallen on my desk, but when I soldered it back in, the fan still went full speed. The solder pads for the component seem intact. I also tried taking the same component from a trash board and putting it on - no luck. Tried putting a bypass wire from the drain of the right side fan transistor to the left side fan line via the test points - the test points broke instead.
Is there any hope for this board, or is it basically scrap? It boots and works fine, just this fan speed issue. Is there any other way to bypass the fan control, and have it run on the right side fan's signal? Or to fix the original circuit?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Probably broken trace, or other damaged component in that area.
Compare diode mode readings between Q6000/50.