820-00281 display image issues

Hello. I have a 820-00281 board that I purchased from eBay. The computer was fully functional except for the touchbar did not work and it would crash and reboot when the computer would go to sleep. I figured out the touch bar was not working due to U4404 and replaced it and the touchbar was working again and it was no longer crashing either. Since this board was fully working now, I decided to try and put the board in another A1707 casing I had to test the screen and other items on the casing but when I hooked everything up and plugged in the adapter, I heard a small pop noise and could smell burnt plastic so I quickly unplugged the charger. Turns out the screen I plugged in had some minor liquid damage to the connector on the LCD assembly that I did not see and so it destroyed U9850. When I took off the heat sink I could see a blow out on the surface of U9850. I replaced it with a new one and connected the board to the original casing with the good screen, and the internal display now turns on again and displays an apple logo, but it only loads about halfway and then the image disappears from the screen but the backlight remains on. This board has some really weird symptoms now. It fully boots to the OS but the image will not stay when I boot normally. If I turn it on with an external monitor connected, the image on the internal screen works fine and so does the external monitor. If I unplug the external monitor while the computer is running, the image on the internal screen stays on for about 5 seconds and then the image goes away again, but backlight remains on. If I boot into safe boot, the internal screen works fine without the external monitor connected. The screen also works fine if I boot into Recovery mode or apple diagnostics so I am not sure where to go from here. I tried a new LCD flex cable also and still have the same issue. I also tried booting into a test OS from a USB stick and same issue occurs when the OS loads. Could it be a bad U9850 that I used or did I destroy something else?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
LCD_MUX_SEL is controlled by U9800.
It could be affected too.
This one can have firmware, I'm not sure however.

Well I just replaced U9800 and no change in symptoms. When the LCD turns on and displays the apple logo, LCD_MUX_SEL is 3.3v. Then once the image disappears from the screen, LCD_MUX_SEL goes to 0v. What else could pull that voltage down only when the computer boots normally?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Some other lines from LCD connector have been affected, I suppose.
LCD_IRQ_L goes to U9800 and CPU too.

You can try another U9850, just in case.

LCD_MUX_EN remains high when LCD_MUX_SEL drops?

Yea it was apparently bad soldering of U9850 that caused the issue. I removed that chip again, re-balled it and re soldered it and now the image is working great. This macbook is fully functional again. Thanks for the help!

One thing I do notice is that LCD_MUX_SEL still drops from 3.3v to 0v during the apple logo loading screen and seems to stay at 0v even after it boots to the OS but the image is still working fine. I guess that is supposed to happen.