820-00840 camera not working

hello i have here a1708 camera not working
action taken: change tophalf 2 times same problem. i test again another tophalf came from working unit still the same.
i test the original tophalf from another board camera is working so i can confirm this is from motherboard problem so,
i did some visual check on motherboard seems ok didnt see any corroded parts and
i did also some diode to ground regarding camera rails (j8500) it seams good didnt see any short.
what do i need to check. thanks in advace!

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
That is the voltage, but I asked if ALS works.

BTW, write directly on the reply box.
I don't see any reason to quote an entire post visible few centimeters above; no matters how long/short it is.
Please, maintain forum aesthetic...

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Direct flaslight to the camera and check if keyboard backlight reacts.
Or tap the webcam with your hand.
This way you can confirm if Ambient Light Sensor is working...

Any history fault

i recieved this macbook with cracked screen only so i just changed only the lcd after 1 day the lcd suddenly no display (blue screen)
then instead of changing again the lcd, i decided to change the lcd assembly (tophalf) customer complaining camera is not working i stated also to my original post changed tophalf many times.
also my customer claiming before i changed the lcd the camera was working.
system report: cant recognize the camera

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
If the fault was located on MLB for sure, then check for knocked off components, or broken traces.
Check voltage on the coils near U3900 (page 36).

Please, please, stop to quote previous post: looks really ugly.
Do NOT click Reply button, write directly into bottom Reply box...

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Two readings for a coil, any reason?
ALWAYS check the voltage on the output pin of the coil, where is placed the filter cap.
Don't waste time in the future.

If the webcam was working before for sure, then something happened when replaced the screen.
I can only think about mechanical damage; broken traces, or components.
Check all the coils placed on camera lines (page 37) and resistors (page 66).

Last edited:
hello i would like to continue this issue, anyways i still not solve this issue.

now i have the same this issue with another a1708 with the same board number (820-00840-a)
here is the scenario for the 2nd time:
i recieved this macbook with the cracked lcd only, 1st i changed the top half evrything is ok i tested the camera it is working, i just notice
that the camera got dust it is so obvious, so i need to change another tophalf. after i changed another tophalf after i opened the camera it has a msg the camera is not connected, so i tried changed 1more still the same, so i put back the 1st i install (have the camera dust) still camera not detected, almost the same with my original post.

can anybody have the same issue or any advices to help me.

i tried run diagostics im having error code: NDC001 there may be an issue with the camera.

i tried also clean me using @informaticos another post https://boards.rossmanngroup.com/threads/820-00840-no-brain-after-big-sur-update.61525/
still the same.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose knocked off components, broken traces, or connectors issue.
Can't be electronic problem, if no power/battery was connected in the screen swap process.

no knocked off components
battery was removed before and after the tophalf replacement.
i do believe i didnt damage any components when changing the screen.
and i know im not the only 1 having this issue.
im thinking maybe from the part number/version of the screen
having issue. or maybe i didnt remove the battery connector when i remove the lcd connector for the
2ndtime i change the screen (also maybe didnt shutdown the macbook and then the camera app still on.
but im sure when i put the screen battery was disconnected.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
There are many small simple/dual coils; check continuity for all of them.
Also be sure no scratched traces, camera related.