820-00840 dead after SSD swap

sbergin

So I did a dumb thing. A friend brought me his teen daughter's dead A1708...it was charging (made the tone when USB C charger connected) but no boot chime or video from internal or external displays. Rather than trying to repair it (I just moved offices and am still unpacking my bench, plus the broken machine is in nasty shape physically), I just offered to sell him a 1 year newer A1708 unit I have and swap the SSDs. So I swapped her SSD into my known good machine, and ended up with a non-boot situation. USB C goes from 5v to 20v as expected, but 0.00A when battery is connected or disconnected. I went back to her dead machine and now have no charge tone there (with same voltage/current draw). I'm assuming I toasted something in each machine because I pulled the SSDs without disconnecting the batteries first? I checked to make sure I didn't knock anything off the boards during opening. Power rails on the newer machine seem ok, I haven't dug in much further because I'm still putting my bench back together. Just posting here to get confirmation that my idiot SSD yank move probably caused this...

sbergin

Neither machine boots with OR without SSD. No sign of life aside from 20V at USB C meter and main rails OK.

sbergin

So you're saying that if PPBUS_G3H shorted to another line in the SSD connector that goes to the CPU, the CPU is probably fried. Makes sense. Ok thank you!