820-00928 not wake from sleep

JoeD94538

Hi All, The problem is that it will not wake for sleep. The board is clean, no history of liquid damage.

Already replaced U9800, SMC, PCH and still same problem.

It will work if I turn off Automatic switching / energy/ system pref. So it will wake if run on the discrete GPU, but will not wake if run on CPU.

I was thinking of replacing discrete GPU, but it seems more of a Intel GPU side. I'm not sure, please help. Thanks

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
PRAM reset done?
Should discard a software issue also.
Test with USB macOS, or do fresh install; save data first.

BTW, after changing PCH, did you clean ME region in BIOS?

JoeD94538

Yes, PRAM reset done. Test with both ext. USB and also wipe internal ssd and reinstall OS.

After the PCH, it was super slow, so I bought a new BIOS on eBay and I was back to normal with the same issue.
I'v been wanting to learn how to clean ME region in BIOS, but never got to it. If you have some link, please do provide.

Thanks

JoeD94538

Will do. Ty

When it doesn't wake, I do see the CPU getting hot, and the fans will slowly rev-up.

I'm thinking of cooking the CPU. Do you have any suggestions? Any help is most appreciative.

JoeD94538

Hi 2informaticos, it didn't work for me. I think I'm not doing it right. My programmer can normally flash "File" type and yours' is a .Bin type. I think I need to convert it to a "File" type. Here's a pic of the file. I know for sure our SPI Roms work because we have use it many times in the past. I buy the Bios and read it and save for reuse.

Looks like UA600 was mess with before.

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1

JoeD94538

It's not working, maybe our programmer is outdated. We have a Hi-Lo Systems ALL-100A. We have this programmer for awhile, it's due for an upgrade. Put back the Bios from Ebay and it's working again, but still have the wake problem. Anyway I don't believe it's the BIOS issue, cuz' the original bios and the new bios are doing the samething.
I have a donor GPU reballed, was thinking of replacing it. What do you think?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You've said the problem doesn't appear when GPU is used.
Seems to be an iGPU issue, if you noted CPU temp going high.

Check if gfxcardstatus is supported and try to set discrete GPU as default.

JoeD94538

If set on default on discrete GPU, it runs fine, no issue, and it wakes up properly. And it’s even seems cool while in sleeping mode.

If you run normal, which the system will most likely runs iGPU, then it won’t wake from sleep and while in sleep mode, it gets really hot.

you can set discrete GPU by default by turning off automatic switching in energy system prefs.

I have two boards here with same issues.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think swapping CPU is worth to do.

Just in case, run an extended RAM test.
Very low chance to be RAM issue, running iGPU.

JoeD94538

Yeah cpu is not worth it, but will at least try cpu mosffets and controller similar to 820-3662 before giving up.

What apps do you use to run the extended Ram test.

Is there a controller that handle GPU switching on this model?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Any MLB with discrete graphics has a MUX, but no hardware mode available for new models.

I don't have a preferred RAM test software; many to choose from, use Google.
But I think is wasting time, very low chance to be RAM issue.

You can try changing the U7210/20/30...