820-01521 trackpad does not click (no haptic)

Narek

I got water damaged A1932 ( 820-01521 board). Motherboard itself had only few small spots of liquid around L7670 and J6620, the rest literally looks perfect. I found out that the battery is dead and needs to be replaced along with trackpad and trackpad flex, which were corroded. I put new parts, computer is working fine except trackpad haptic - it does not make "click" when pressed. In the system, the click function works (it selects things), but trackpad does not vibrate. I have already tried other trackpad, other flex and put motherboard to known good topcase and the result is the same. I have compared diode readings of J6700 with other working board and readings are exactly the same. I have Inspected areas of T2 - no signs of liquid there.. Any ideas?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Do you get correct voltage at all pins of J6700?
I mean the power pins, 1V8/3V3/5V related.

Also check SMC_LID_LEFT and IPD_LID_OPEN levels.

Narek

All mentioned voltages are present. As it turned out there was PPBUS_G3H_TPAD_FLT missing - bad F6700... I don't know how I have missed it, I was measuring the connector in diode mide... After replacing it, haptic is working now, but you pointed another problem, that I haven't noticed before. When I close the lid, screen turns off, but keyboard backlight stay on and computer doesn't go to sleep (fan is spinning constantly). I'm waiting for customer to send me passwort to make sure it's not system problem.

Narek

SMC_LID_LEFT/RIGHT are ~1,8v when lid is open and 0,02v when closed.

the rest voltages (lid open/closed)
LID_OPEN_LEFT ~1,5v / 0,03v
LID_OPEN_RIGHT ~1,5v / 0,03v
IPD_LID_OPEN ~1,8v / 0,00v

R4800/R4801 are measuring 1M, R4804/R4805 are 10K. All are getting 1,8v from PP1V8_SLPS2R. I have noticed, that CPU gets really hot on login screen and fan is running high, after few minutes computer shuts down. Onboard diagnostics shows "no problems found" though.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
These machines have a very bad design.
The fan doesn't blow the air directly to the CPU heatsink.
Be sure to have proper contact CPU/heatsink; may need to change the thermal paste.

About the sleep issue, do PRAM reset.
If no change, go to DFU.