820-01949 no 20v, no boot but detected in DFU

Narek

Hello! My costomer brought in a mac and complain, that two left side ports won’t charge anymore and only one right side port is working (upper one). Amp meter wasn’t even lighting up on left side ports, upper right port was working fine (switching to 20V, charging), bottom right was disconnecting all the time. I have discovered corrosion (but no water damage, looked like oxydation) arround all 4 USB-C controllers, some damaged resistors and traces. I have rebuilt traces, replaced resistors, resoldered all 4 controllers. After that left side ports started communicating with charger but board will not switch to 20V anymore on any port. The right side bottom port is still disconnecting constantly. I have already replaced all controllers with full working and tested ones - the behaviour is the same. The only activity is clicking trackpad.

Basic measurements:
  • PPBUS_G3H - 12,26V
  • PP3V3_G3H - 3,3V
  • PP1V8_AWAKE - 1,8V
  • All LDO lines of USB-C controllers are present
  • Thermal camera doesn’t show any obvious shorts
  • traces around UB260/U3060 are OK (had to rebuild trace from pin number two of UB260 to RB298/293/262/29C)
  • SSD supply lines are not present, but there are no shorts
I have tried DFU revive. Device is recognised in DFU but can’t be revived, because Apple Configurator can’t connect to SSD I guess..

With thermal camera I have noticed, that when I connect charger to looping port, U3100 is flashing for a half of second around pins nr. 8,19,20,27. I have replaced that chip, but it’s the same..

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Remove USB-C connectors from the chassis and inspect their terminals for corrosion.
Compare diode mode readings on J3300/B500 with good board; or get S_UEM2 tester.

Narek

I always take the board out of chassis and test it with new USB-C connector, this is not the case here. Tomorrow I’ll make measurements on J3300/B500.