820-01987 a2289 20v

stas

Hello, i've got an 820-01987 from a friend who had spilled diet coke on the computer. I am a novice and I have not repaired any other macbooks, but I feel like i have a decent fundamental and practical knowledge of electronics. So. please excuse my ignorance. I've done research for a few days and I'm stuck. Ill try to start from the beginning, and be as thorough as possible.

I have found corrosion around these components/areas
  • u3750
  • q7660
  • q7702
  • j6001
  • j6951
The corrosion didn't seem excessive, it seemed quite minimal compared to others I've seen online. Now of course, the littlest bit of moisture can break these boards...
Either way, I had cleaned up the corrosion and reflowed everything aside from the connectors.

Currently, i am drawing 20v and the amperage fluxuates. with the board alone I'm getting up to .525A, and then it drops to about the .386A before cycling again from 0a..

With everything connected, i get 20v and about 3a. It seems to be charging the battery.

I get no caps lock light activity, but i do get trackpad click. No backlight. I can't see an image. I don't have a thermal imager but i can't feel anything hot.

I've tried putting the computer in DFU rest mode multiple times, but I can't get it to show in Apple Configurator. I've tried two different cable, and both USB C ports on both machines. I have tried it with the battery disconnected and connected. I am using the L Control L Option R Shift for 7 seconds, and then the same but with the power button. The computer seems to be responding to these inputs. It will start and stop the fan. The fan won't run continuously iirc.

I believe all my main power rails are present and within the specified range. I used this , along with other forum posts to guide me on what i should be measuring and how much voltage i should expect. I assume with the chart i linked, if any rail is missing, rails that occur later in the list would not be present, right? Maybe this is where my ignorance sets in... I haven't recorded any of the voltage from the power rails that i checked, as i didn't notice anything wrong with them.

I did check my CPU core voltage, PPVCC_S0_CPU, and I think i am getting a high voltage. I'm getting .8 v and its not stabilizing to .6-.7v, which i had read is the proper voltage. This voltage will return to 0 with the amp cycle of the board. It seems to come on and off when current draw is at or about .3a. CPU is warm.

I read that these boards will not boot without a battery. I'm not sure if DFU mode is accessible without the battery installed. With the board on the bench,no battery, I don't measure any voltage at SoC_DFU_STATUS. I don't know how to get to this test point without installing the board. Maybe the battery is dead and it needs to be charged? With corrosion previously present at j6941, could this have damaged the battery? should I try a new one from Amazon to see if i can get it to boot?

This is where i'm stuck. Being a novice, I don't know the normal operation state of these boards and i find it difficult to find information of that.

To me, the board seems like it wants to boot. Maybe there is something wrong with my t2.

Apologizes if this was long-winded or confusing. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, welcome to the forum!

I recommend you to use external switch method to put machine in DFU.
It must be recognized in AC2 without battery.
However, may not complete DFU revive/restore in such case; should try connecting battery too.

stas

Thank you for the response.

I have the board in the case with the battery connected. I had some time this morning so i decided to try and jumper the pads with tweezers. I was able to get it into DFU first try with this method, and i attempted a revive with my host machine. I got a prompt from AC2 saying i needed to be on a more recent operating system, but let me continue anyways. After it attempted the revive i was left with a lock icon on the AC2. No error messages. Still no boot.

So i was able to borrow a newer mac with a later installation of AC2, however i am now not able to get the device to enter DFU mode. No lock icon either. I read the wiki and i tried to play with the power button while shorting the pads, and other combinations to try to get it into DFU. I haven’t had luck.

I’m not home now and might not be able to get to the machine for a few days apart from maybe a short time tonight.

Next i’ll try attaching a switch, with the board standalone on the desk, and see if it can be recognized by the host. unless if you suggest something else…

Thank you again 2informanticos.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Seems that you already completed DFU revive.
"i was left with a lock icon on the AC2"

However, if there is no important dasta, I recommend to perform Restore, instead of Revive.
Using external switch is more easy than tweezers...

stas

Oh, I was expecting either a working machine or feedback on the host machine, lol

I will update you in a few days, thanks much

stas

I am able to get it in DFU with the switch method. I have tried restore. After completed, I noticed a warning icon next to the apple controller lock icon that states that apple controller is not booted, and recommends a restore to update it to the latest firmware. I seen this in the video on the wiki, and it doesn't seem like this should prevent it from booting. I've tried two restores, and still no boot.

What is the logical next step? Is possibly a CPU or T2 issue? Thanks

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
There must be more components affected by liquid spill.
Possibly accumulated crap under some BGA chips, or broken traces also.

Board stops with stable 0.8V on CPU core?

Last edited:

stas

Yes, the board stops and is stable at a solid .8v on the aforementioned line.

I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner and I don't want to get a cheap one as i know i could damage the board more with an inadequate cleaner.

I did take some photos of the board before i cleaned it initially, if you think that might help with diagnosis.

stas

I'm stuck here. Is there anything else you think i should try, or anywhere that would be a good place to start from here? I don't expect you to troubleshoot my board for me, so if you think this is too advanced to be done over a forum post, or for a newb like me, I understand.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect CPU in this case; or accumulated crap underneath.

Do not expect miracles from ultrasonic cleaner.
You can try heating CPU with quality flux; do NOT use "chinese honey"!
Keep in mind, you don't need to melt the balls; just burn eventually crap accumulated between them.

stas

Gave it a shot and no change. I also decided to give it another good wash in IPA. I suspect this machine is better as a parts machine now...

Thanks 2informaticos, you're a huge help and I value all the information and guidance you've gave to me and others on this site