820-02016-A boots always in Startup Options

mbcontrol

I'm working on a 820-02016-A. The machine had a liquid damage. We renewed the Audioboard with Flexcable and the Trackpad with Flexcable. The board 820-02288-A (keyboard-controller?) had also liquid signs.

The logicboard had no liquid damage and looks like new.

The problem ist, that even the naked logicboard boots always into the Startup Options without pushing the powerbutton.
Do you have a tip how I can start troubleshooting.

mbcontrol

I got now the Password from the Customer and did some tests. Whatever i do - The board runs automatically in the "Startup Options" (like it normally does by pushing the powerbutton while booting).

There it shows the int. SSD and the Options-Button. Also it shows ext. SSDs which are connected on usb. Even if i select a partition from the ext. SSD as boot-device, it boots into the Startup-Options again.

mbcontrol

everything was disconnected - im booting the naked board only with power and ext. hdmi
don't boot in macOS without keyboard

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
So it still goes to boot menu, without keyboard and trackpad connected?

Can you enter to macOS if select internal SSD?
If yes, then go to system preferences and set the startup disk.

mbcontrol

yes.

Even when i set the internal SSD as startup disk it runs at next boot into the startup options - like i didn't do anything.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Is time for DFU.
Check first if you can access its SSD through Target Disk mode.
If no data to recover, go directly for DFU restore.

mbcontrol

Share Volume works with the int. SSD. I have now a connection to an Intel MBP which works perfectly.
Is it still necessary to try DFU Mode?

mbcontrol

I don't get the DFU icon on the screen.
I only get the padlock icon.
The M1 still runs into the startup options while pressing the keys for DFU-Mode
any tip what I can do

mbcontrol

DFU mode using SWV011 and RV020 works.

DFU restore stops at step 3 of 4 with this message (translated from german):

The system cannot be recovered on this device.
The operation could not be completed. There is no file or folder of this type [NSPOSIXErrorDomain - 0x2 (2)]

mbcontrol

I'd like to understand it a bit more - can you explane me what he is doing at step3 of the DFU recover mode? He tells me that he is unpacking something. Does it mean that the download of the Firmware is finished and he writes it to the SSD of the target MB? Or what is he doing there?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
SSD shoud be good, if you was able to boot the machine before.
I suspect some data lines of T2, which goes to affected areas (audio board probably), got damaged.

After unpacking, DFU should start to write internal T2 firmware first, before its dedicated SSD partition.