820-02020 M1 corrosion around cd3217

Bravo2001

Hi, received this logic board with little corrosion around cd3217 and some around the toucid sensor chip. See attached pictures. Laptop boots when connected to battery and charger but does not charge. Also no 19v on USB C amp meter. Everything works when booted but only from battery.

After cleaning with amtech V2 good flux saw that pin 8 of UF260 (USB ROM chip) was damaged. Cleaned it and added new solder. Still 5v 0,225a after 6 sec back to 0,055a. So tried a USB ROM from a2159 Same specs. Now it goes to 20v 0,109A but still no charger recognized... I remember reading something about copy rom before installing but never done that before.

Do you think rom chip is damaged and needs to be replaced?

Bravo2001

What do you mean with correct dump from same board model? How do you do that, do you have any video or explanation somewhere?!

Bravo2001

I’m a Noob with flashing. I did flash bios before on motherboards. But never on MacBooks. Even not these kind of small chips. Can you maybe send me in any direction to any explanation?!? A how to? Or something. Thanks.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
UF260 is SPI memmory (a kind of EEPROM); just very small.

You can read and write it with correct adapter.
Same programmer used for laptop motherboards can do it, but need to fix the chip somehow on it.

Bravo2001

Ok, thxs. I found this video, explaining the procedure...
I'm excited to figure this out aswell

ButI don't have another a2338 chip to get the dump from. Maybe you can send me? Or anyone else?!

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have such board on my service.
I know people here (in the forum) have it.
Maybe have luck and they read your thread.
If not, try to contact someone who posted 02020 thread...

Bravo2001

Hi, I'm back again. So after getting a CH341 programmer and needed adapters to fix the rom chip. I flashed the a2238 dump (verified and everything) on to it but still getting 5v 0.225a and no charging... When I put the a2159rom back at least I get 19v 0,05a... What am I doing wrong?

How can I know if the rom is ok?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You've got 19V with original U2890, at the beggining.
Something reacted to the heat applied many times on the board; this happens on the boards affected by corrosion.
May have problems with internal copper layers even.

Bravo2001

You've got 19V with original U2890, at the beggining.
No, you are confused with my other post haha. This one was never charging. When connected to battery it will boot and work fine but does not charge. With original rom, keeps at 5v... But when I connect a a2159 rom it will go upon to 19v. But still no charger. So I flashed a2338 rom to a new chip but still 5v.

Just have to figure out why won't charge?! THXS

Bravo2001

Is there a difference between cd3217 intel and cd3217 M1 chips? Don't think so right...

Can I use 2 different version of the cd3217 chip on one logic board. like this? Or should I use only pairs?IMG_0374.jpegIMG_0374.jpeg