820-02100 power issue

Kyle93

This has no liquid damage but has a issue of shutting down randomly. The error message the OS has a issue and needs to be reinstalled comes up.

While trying to backup data from target disk mode it will randoml;y shut down. When holding power button to try and turn it back on the mag safe light goes out and then back on. What can cause this on these newer machines? What should be checked next?

Kyle93

Yes same behavior with USB-C

Will get back to you Monday about potential errors in diagnostic mode

Kyle93

As of today I cannot enter the options menu to access target disk mode or diagnostic now. As the power button is held I see the screen that says continue holding for startup options. I let go when it says loading startup options. Within a few seconds the screen goes black and the MagSafe light dims out and comes back on within a few seconds but screen remains black. Same type of behavior continues no matter how many times I try.

When I could get into target disk mode before the data would only transfer about 20 minutes before the MacBook randomly shut down. When trying to turn it back on the MagSafe goes from green to off

Last edited:

Kyle93

I believe I found the issue one of the Renesas 225701C power ic chips is getting hot under thermal cam.

Do you know where I can purchase a replacement chip? Digi key and Mouser do not have it and the older M1 MacBooks use a different model Renesas chip.