820-2850 Charging issues

CRC2018

Got an 820-2850 in today - no light on the charger initially - checked board see the ISL6259 has been replaced before so decided to resolder it - after resoldering i'm getting a green light after 15-20 seconds (not instant) and it doesn't go orange. Board starts and says battery is 0% and not charging - same behaviour with a new battery but when I turned the machine off the light went orange and it appeared to be charging for a bit - then I start hearing a whining noise coming from the board until the light went green again and the noise stopped - battery had charged up to about 1%.

My thoughts are leaning to bad ISL at this point - no obvious signs of corrosion, missing resistors of broken traces that I can see from my visual inspection but wanted to check if the behaviour described is consistent with a bad ISL chip?

Should probably add that for the first 15-20 seconds i'm getting 12.3v on PPBUS which jumps up to 12.6 after the light comes on.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You must get steady 12.6V PPBUS_G3H, all the time without battery.

Battery cannot be charged if no Magsafw light present.
Check SYS_ONEWIRE circuitry.
Did you try another DCIN board?

Post some basic voltages of U7100, when doesn't charge (or low PPBUS_G3H); pins 1, 2, 3, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 19, 20, 27.
Also try another known good battery...