820-2915 Motherboard starting and then suddenly shuts off?

patrickribbsaeter

1. I have Green light on charger.
2. I have 3.42v on SMC_B_ACOK
3. I have 3.42v on PIN 5 ADAPTER SENSE (U6900)
4. I have CHGR_ACIN shows 4.0v
5. I have 12.6v on FUSE 7040 which goes to system.

Still NO FAN SPIN and no start,

Is there anything I'm missing from here?

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have original 85W charger?
Does it charge battery, or starts when battery and charger are both connected?
Touch SMC_ONOFF_L to ground and see reaction on PM_PWRBTN_L.
Post values for SMC_ADAPTER_EN, PM_BATLOW_L, PM_RSMRST_L, PM_SLP_SUS_L signals.
Any fault history?

TCRScircuit

Super Moderator
Staff member
History? Random powering off will suck. Could be corrosion under something or some corroded pad or resistor somewhere. History is going to be the most important thing here.

dukefawks

Administrator
Likely GPU is dead and you are not using a 85W charger. Let the battery charge up so you have a few lights on the battery indicator, it should then be able to power from battery even with 60W charger.

patrickribbsaeter

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I followed Duke advice.

I recharged the battery full with 60W charger. (Im buying 80W tmr).. The computer boot now, apple logo comes on, and the load bar. But that remains only for 3 seconds then computer shuts off again.

Any suggestions on that?.. Could it be GPU, and if so, how can I check that. Is it possible to reflow the GPU a bit? Ultrasonic will that help? or is it bye bye with this motherboard and only use the spareparts for future work?

HISTORY: The computer is NOT water damaged.

Last edited:

JohnB8812

The computer is hanging on boot and shutting down because it is the 820-2915’s way of saying I’m fucked lol. This model is notorious for that exact symptom being caused by a dead GPU. You can replace it, but good luck finding a real GPU

patrickribbsaeter

The computer is hanging on boot and shutting down because it is the 820-2915’s way of saying I’m fucked lol. This model is notorious for that exact symptom being caused by a dead GPU. You can replace it, but good luck finding a real GPU
Thanks JohnB8812 for your feedback. I have similar motherboards with functioning GPU. Do you recommend I should take it from the board with functioning GPU and place it onto this damaged one?

Real GPU? can u recommend any websites? Aliexpress perhaps?

What about REFLOW?

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Tried booting from a known good OSX through USB? If that has the same result it will be a dead GPU.

REAL new GPUs are unobtanium pretty much and reflow is bullshit and only temporary.

patrickribbsaeter

No Title

I tried boot from good USB osx.. And i got this.. I guess the GPU is gone for ever?

The motherboard gets warm really fast and starts smelling burned close up..

Attachments

• photo1909.jpg
    photo1909.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: