820-3115-B turn on, no video

HOSOI

Hello guys, I got this MP with the following problems. It turns on, the fan spins normally first then starts spinning faster, it charge, there is mouse activity, but there is no video, no chime and I noticed that the PCH gets hot when it is on, also I found a short to GND on PP3v3_s0, and since there are so many parts involved on that rail I don't know where to start with. there is no sign of liquid or any part burned. Thanks in advance.

BR

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Did you check without LCD connected?
If still low, you can try injecting voltage, no more than 4V.
Remove CPU heatsink and try to detect something hot on the board.

HOSOI

yes, with no LCD connected.
tried that but my dcps have and over-voltage protection functionality and because of the short is not allowing me to inject the 3.3 voltage. I selected 100 mA and nothing. do you think that if I turn off the OVP (over-voltage protection) nothing would happen?

HOSOI

it looks like it is a dead PCH since the only thing that gets hot is the PCH, also noticed that PP3V3_SUS is shorted to GND too.

HOSOI

I turned off the OVP and let the amp to the max, the only thing the gest hot is the PCH, I used a seek thermal camera for that

HOSOI

too bad, I guess that I need a BGA machine for that. I do have one but I'm not sure I'll be able to do that job with that. I bought that very long time ago. please see the link and let me know what do you think about that cheap BGA rework station, and please also tell me where I can get the PCH.

Attachments

• pch1.jpg
    pch1.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 1
  • pch2.jpg
    pch2.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

HOSOI

I bought that T862 when I didn't know anything about repairs, then I realized that it was wasted money. which bga machine do you recommend, maybe it worth it try to spend some money on that.