820-3209-A liq. dmgd, powers on, chimes, turns off after 3-5 sec only with ssd or..

bruce1129

820-3209-A liquid damage, powers on, chimes, turns off after 3-5 seconds
board gets warm
if you remove the ssd, it will not power off after 3-5 seconds
if you try to boot from usb, it will power off again though
to be clear, if you remove the ssd it will stay on
fan seems to run high
my question is, should i assume there is a problem on an S0 rail since it does power on, then shut off (but only with ssd or trying to boot from usb)
i dont see any obvious liquid damaged components, it may have been cleaned before getting to me ( i bought it off ebay with the symptoms listed to practice motherboard repair on)
PPBUS_G3H 8.16v
PP3V42_G3H 3.42
dc in didnt measure
SMC_BC_ACOK 3.397

dukefawks

Administrator
So it will only shut down when it tries to boot an OS?
PPBUS at 8.2V is at least the first problem, either bad SMC or bad ISL6259, but this will usually not cause a shutdown. I assume you measured this with battery disconnected?

bruce1129

yes it appears it will only shut down when it tries to boot an os.
i did not measure with the battery disconnected, but i forgot to mention it does not charge the battery either. also on this model the only power supply i have is a knockoff one, BUT i bough this mac with the symptoms listed above in the description on ebay.
with battery disconnected i get
8.16v ppbus_g3h
pp3v42_g3h 3.425

dukefawks

Administrator
It is not charging cause of dead SMC for a start. PPBUS should be 8.4V at least. So first action would be to change the SMC from a donor board. The shutdown issue may be A LOT harder to fix!

bruce1129

so i pulled the board out of the housing, left in the ssd, and measured ppbus_g3h and i got 8.4v on R5301, (and the board remains on with the ssd in it (out of the housing)

bruce1129

i reflowed the SMC first, but it still kept turning off, then i just removed it from the housing, now i get a green light that goes to an amber light on the charger (before i got no light, i assumed it was bc im using an aftermarket charger) fan still runs high, but not right off the bat, (question is this model supposed to auto turn on when you plug in the ac adapter, bc it does) * no longer turns off after 3-5 seconds tho

bruce1129

ok so if i unplug the track pad, the unit will stay on and give a green to amber light, so does this mean i have a short or just an issue on the trackpad circuit?