820-332 green light no power Q8930

dong

Hello, I have a 820-3332 with liquid damage. I have never worked on one of these boards before. The only thing I can see visually is Q8930 which isn't looking too good nor is plane around it. I see what look like many little vias next to it which have lifted along with the res of the exposed circuit. Im wondering if this is even repairable because I'm not sure where any of them go. Is this even worth me getting a donor board for? I don't see any other damage anywhere on the board at all. Is this something that is common to fail and does it kill any other components along with it?

Attachments

• photo582.jpg
    photo582.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dong

Magsafe remains orange even when battery is unplugged

PPBUS_G3H 0.165V - 0.217V diode mode it drops from 10.0 instantly to 0.3

PP3V3_S5 0.76V diode mode 0.529

PP3V3_S3 0.1V diode mode 12.16

PP3V3_S0 0.1V diode mode 4.1

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
That doesn't fare well for the GPU, but probably isn't the primary issue.

Does this have a green light on the charger?

What is the resistance between pins 17/18 and 27/28 of U7000?

dong

When connecting the magsafe the light is green for a few seconds and then turns orange.

17/18 is 4.4

27/28 is 22.0

dong

Ok. I don't have a donor board and ordered one but tis from China so god knows when it will get here. Louis if your open tomorrow could I stop by and buy a donor board or two from you?

dong

No Title

This is what the area looks like once I removed it. All 6 pads have continuity. PPBUS_G3H short still present. I can see the exposed copper for PPVIN_S5_HS_GPU_ISNS might be touching the exposed copper circuit for pad 1 and 2 on Q8930. The PPVIN_S5_HS_GPU_ISNS copper seems pretty loose should I gently pry it off the Q8930 p1 and p2 copper or leave it alone?

Attachments

• photo584.jpg
    photo584.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dong

No Title

Yea burn is very deep. Believe it or not all that surface stuff was lose and even when I got to this point i was still scraping ash out of the board which was revealing more layers. RIP.

Attachments

• photo585.jpg
    photo585.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 0