820-3437 no video (vcore present)

ytesfay80

Okay I ordered a TL866 with all adapters and kit for $95 hopefully it'll arrive early next week. Just to be sure though does that mean that the SMC is likely not the issue here since the fan only spun for 1 second once the U6100 chip was replaced.

Also, can I use that TL866 to fix EFI/Bios locked machines? Do you get a lot of machines that need that service?

dukefawks

Administrator
No idea if the SMC is good.

Yes you can unlock STOLEN MacBooks with your TL866. No I don't get a lot of them, I live in an area where I do not need to lock my house or car.

ytesfay80

Okay something weird happened.
I removed the U6100 chip from my board that I took from a donor, then I gave the SMC some flux and heated it. I then put back the original U6100 and I plugged in the charger soon afterwards.
The fan this time did the 3 times on and off. I didn't take any measurements and just pulled the charger out. I came back 20 minutes later and plugged the charger in and it went back doing the non stop fan spin.

Last edited:

ytesfay80

I've watched louis' videos on smc reballing but I've never done it before so I will practice on my donors. Do you have any tricks on how to make sure it the smc is lined up correctly over each pad since there are no markers on the board?

ytesfay80

I've been practicing on a SMC from a scrap board but everytime I try to pull the stencil from the SMC after getting the solder paste melted they never come off cleanly(I've tried 3 times now). I watched Louis' video and he said to heat it slightly then try to pull it off but that hasn't worked for me. Maybe this just takes a few more attempts to get used to this.

Also, my stencil says 980YFC 0.3mm. Is 0.3mm the correct size because I thought I read somewhere that the size of the balls are 0.25mm.

ytesfay80

duke I'm still practicing on a donor and I've gotten a little better at keeping the balls from getting messed up when pulling from the stencil but I always have a few balls that need to be replaced.
At the moment I only have 0.25mm balls and when I apply a few of them manually after taking the stencil off I can see they are noticeably smaller than the other balls. Is it okay if I stick with them being a little smaller or will there be issues when soldering to the board?

I ordered some 0.3mm but they wont arrive for a few more days.

dukefawks

Administrator
Go with the larger ones they are much easier. Even 0.35 you can use. It is normal if a few balls come off and need to be manually replaced. You are heating with the stencil in place?

ytesfay80

Yes. I do like Louis' videos and put some some flux and heat so the balls sort of melt and I slightly pull the stencil up with my tweezers. I do have an issue where my SMC doesn't exactly fit on this holder and there is a small amount of space in between so when I am trying to lift the stencil off the SMC comes with it.

I am using this SMC holder http://www.ebay.com/itm/252435209794