820-3462. Short on PP5V_S4.

bjf

This board was not liquid-damaged. Short on PP5V_S4. Nothing is getting warm when I send voltage in besides the wires used to inject the voltage. Current is definitely going in, around 4 amps. Since I was getting nothing to heat up I pulled everything in the circuit. Still no change. I can't imagine a PCB short on a non-liquid-damaged board so I'm not sure what's happening. Any ideas?

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
PCB short is more common on non-liquid damaged boards in my experience because there is nothing to damage the top layer components.

bjf

Thanks. I usually like to see a nice crater for my PCB shorts but I think this one lines up with what you're saying. I think I'm going to let it go.

dukefawks

Administrator
This short is usually in the USB port area. Pump more current in and see if you can find any heat. At 15 amps something must start smoking.

bjf

Cables melted and went up in smoke. I also noticed heat on the board on the opposite side of the CPU. The plastic on top of the CPU melted too so the CPU was shorting out for some reason. Throwing it in my donor board box. Thanks.