820-3787 - Green Light - No Fan Spin - Pulls 28ma

Jameswis

I replaced the chip with a brand new one. System has fan spin. Reconnected display and keyboard, SSD, Trackpad and so on, and System is Running..

Last edited:

Jameswis

So I didn't realize this, but its developed a new issue.. It will only turn on if i disconnect the battery and charger. Hit the power button. Then reconnect the charger... Having the battery hooked up doesn't make a difference. It doesn't appear the power button is doing much but draining something when the batt and charger are disconnected..

Anyone seen this issue before?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Fans start with max speed?

Disconnect keyboard and test with R5115/16 pads, instead of power button.
Inspect U4850 and U5110 areas for corrosion.

Jameswis

How do I test with R5115/16? or do you mean test the resistors themselves?
Also, I don't have R5115 on this board. Its not missing, it just doesn't exist at all. no pads for it either.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member

Jameswis

There is no R5116 resistor. There are pads tho. and Boardview R5116 pin 1 to Ground will turn the laptop on/off..
No corrosion around U4850 or U5110

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, empty pads; only used to simulate power button.
Did you read mentioned thread???

So machine always turn on correctly from these pads, without disconnecting power completely?

Jameswis

Yes i read the thread, but didn't fully understand it. With the R designation I assumed there was a resistor there, and it looks like there should be a 1/10th watt resistor on the Schematic.
Anyways, Yes, it turns on/off correctly from the pads without disconnecting the power. As its located on the bottom or top of the board.. Hmm.. The side thats Down when you take the bottom of the laptop case off. So i guess its actually the top of the board? Anyway, IDK how it responds with the battery connected, but seems to work correctly with just the power connector.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
R5115/16 are marked as "OMIT" in schematic.
Also "SILK_PART=PWR_BTN" is a direct reference with power button.
And mentioned thread explains you how to use a simple wire to simulate power button.
"In fact, we don't really need to use these pads exactly.
Is very easy to solder a tiny wire on the pad corresponding to the signal; just touch any metal plate with it, when you want to simulate power button."
Is strange that you still expect to find the resistors soldered on the board.

Check for drop pulse at SMC_ONOFF_L when press power button.
Be sure to have 3V in normal mode (keyboard connected).

Jameswis

LOL why is that strange?
Side question.. To test just the keyboard itself, should i be able to check pin 5 on the connector (SMC_ONOFF_L) and see 0 ohms between that and ground?
Also, I can turn it on/off using R5116 pads to Ground, but not C/R4810 pin 1, which I think i should, correct?

Last edited:

Jameswis

No continuity. Upon closer inspection I found a bad trace at R4810. So I'll run a jumper wire. Thank you...
Any recommendations on what gauge?