820-4924 doesn't restart, needs power cut completely to turn back on

hi there!
this one had a lot of liquid damage on the SMC area. i have replaced that twice. I can confirm that the lid sensor was also damaged but i fixed that too. now the issue is when i try to restart, i have to cut power completely, unplug battery and DC and plug back in to turn on. if i perform a restart through macOS. it'll stay off but the trackpad will click for a second and then turn off and then click for a second and just cycle like that. other than that the machine works indefinitely

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if I correctly understood.
If you restart from macOS, machine remains in off state?
If you choose shut down from macOS, also remains off and can't turn it on again with power button?
Try using R5115/16 pads, instead of power button.

no difference with the pads. I can tell it's bootlooping after being shut down until i completely get rid of power and put power back into it. So essentailly to get it to turn on again i would have to unplug DC and then unplug the battery and plug it all back in. then it will come back on... until i shut it down. Then if i try to turn it on the trackpad will have click for about a second, then stop, then click again. As if it's bootlooping... until i cut all power and start again

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
What is exact SMC_RESET_L and SMC_ONOFF_L voltage?
Can you turn it on making SMC reset?
Also try in SMC bypass mode.

SMC_reset is 3.371v but the last two digits will fluctuate constantly between 3.365 and 3.380 and SMC_onoff_l is 3.41v very steady.

SMC bypass works but thats because power cycling the machine works anyway

I can use SMC_onoff_l to turn it on but it'll still turn off and on (or at least accoridng to the trackpad feedback) unless i power cycle