820-4924 power issues

jgraffis

i received this machine today for a screen replacement now it won't power on. this was a normal complete top lid replacement that had no complications everything went smooth(and yes the batter got unplugged before service), but when i went to power it on to test the screen i got no power. at first i had no green/orange light on the charger switched to different charger and got green/orange light. This is where it gets strange... the machine would only get a light on the charger if i unplugged the charger from another machine. long story short... i found i had an issue with the isl6259 sorting pp3v42_g3h to only having 2.0v out.
so change isl6259 get all voltages back on track. but still no power on. i tested around to find i have no pm_slp_s4_L so i went a little further to find i didn't have pm_och_pwrok then no ALL_SYS_PWRGD.

from what I'm seeing ALL_SYS_PWRGD comes from u8160? but this chip is not on the board( never was there) I'm kinda way beyond not sure where i should go from here.

any ideas would be awesome

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
Does ALL_SYS_PWRGD pulse or never rise above 0?

Have you tried turning it on with everything detached(keyboad, trackpad, I/O board, etc)?

Is PPVRTC_G3H present?

jgraffis

ALL_SYS_PWRGD doesn't go above 0v, i tried powering on with everything detached, battery power using power on pads, PPVRTC_G3H IS 3.42v, resistance to ground on pp3v42_g3h is at 0.306 diode mode(i do get a light on the charger).

i did just notice that PPVCC_S0_CPU is 0.015 on diode mode. not sure if that is supposed be like that or not.

Last edited:

jgraffis

i was able to restore the green light, but no power on after replacing the ISL6259. I seem to remember one of louis videos where he was describing what different voltages on ppbus_g3h meant, but for the life of me couldn't find it again.

jgraffis

okay i replaced the SMC now it boots but with fans on high and what looks like safe boot. i ran the on board diagnostics and it cam back with
"there maybe an issue with your trackpad". ref code NDR001
"There may be an issue with the SMC". Ref code PFM006
"There may be an issue with the power management system". Ref code NDK001

Do i have to have a very specific SMC chip for this machine?
I did match up the numbers off of a donor board for the SMC i used.

jgraffis

yea was thinking the same thing but don't have a donor board for this board yet looks like ill be buy one though.