A1502 820-3536A working, but turns off after about 30 minutes

Melvinzill

Hi, after a bit of a break from board repair due to personal reasons im back at it again! I bought this A1502 13" late 2013 retina which has a super weird issue! It works just fine for a while but after like 30 minutes it cuts out and sometimes won't power up until you let it sit for a while. I already ruled out the battery and thermal issues.
Anyone know what could be causing this?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
NO.
You need clean ME region.
The PCH is married with its SPI chip, once the board is booted.

Upload somewhere your BIOS, if you cannot clean ME region.

Melvinzill

Oof gonna try tomorrow always a huge pain removing the chip soldering wired to the chip... Will report on how it goes.

Melvinzill

Yup, maybe should get one soon. Also now found out what is the reason for the crashes according to macOS as I finally got a log... Is that of any use?

Will try the new EFI file you sent today. Will report back on what happens.

BTW as Long as the Machine is on all the Time and never goes to sleep it appears stable (8h uptime)

Attachments

• 2B36E7D6-1418-475D-9C19-291182C2FADA.jpeg
    2B36E7D6-1418-475D-9C19-291182C2FADA.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 4

Melvinzill

No seems to work fine. The only thing I found weird (could also be an OS Bug though) is that it goes to sleep while playing YouTube.... Yes original charger, though this reboot was on a genuine battery

Melvinzill

Okay, after nearly a year back on this machine. I now flashed the full new bios 2informaticos posted in the thread. This changed things. Those sleep/wake error messages upon panic are gone now. But I still wouldn’t consider it 100%, although it’s a lot better. The machine still occasionally doesn’t wake from sleep, instead rebooting. Also Apple services aren’t working, but that’s likely just a product of the different BIOS. This is honestly one of my most annoying machines I’ve ever seen…