A1706 820 - 00923 Service battery then died!

Maxibon

Afternoon!

I have a 820 - 00923 in at the moment for repair.

I was told it died once, then came good, then died again but before it did the battery came up with a please service message.

Once I got into it I found liquid damaged (only slight) around C7097 & C7096, clean it up.

Once that was sorted I connected DC to the mac and preso! I got a healthy draw and a booting mac, although only with the battery disconnected.

I had a bit more of a look around to see what was happening, looked for any other issue & found nothing.

I then put it back together though this time it booted with the battery connected, except wasn't charging, and had the service battery message.

Tried a known good battery and same thing.

I follow the battery connection on the schematic and found C6910 looked cooked - removed and the Mac wouldn't boot at all this time.

Replaced that cap and she booted but back at no charging / service battery message.

Thought perhaps because C6910 was so cooked, I would try and replace U6903. Have0 idea what I've done because now it's stuck at 5v not drawing 20v and not booting :(

I thought U7000 needs to talk to SMC to tell it to give 20v so maybe my issue is there. Though I don't want to keep playing chip of fortune.

PM_EN_P3V3_G3H = 4.7v which means U7000is getting the power it needs to turn on right?

Any advice is appreciated

Cheers.

Maxibon

Thanks for your reply mate,

I don't - I'm getting 2.1v @ L6900
PPVIN_G3H_P3V3G3H = 3.8v
P3V3G3H_BIAS = 3.8v
P3V3G3H_FB = 0.7v

Hope this helps.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Check if R6907 has correct value (2.2 ohm).
Post D6902 voltages.
Just in case, remove R6915 and check again L6900 voltage.

Maxibon

Thanks mate - that sorted it & it now boots - though only without the battery attached.

With battery attached it draws .042mA. Any idea what would cause the logicboard to think the battery needs a service, and then only works without it?

Maxibon

Hey mate

Replaced battery with known good, sits at .042mA with battery connected.

When booted amp meter doesn't go to charging current, sits below 1A.

Once mac is booted it says it's on 1% and to service the battery.

Hope this helps.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
So it now boots with battery connected?
Can you get more information about battery from System Report?

Check R7061/62 and their traces.

Maxibon

It boots with the battery replaced, original battery no, though they both sit at .042amp.

The original battery connected, the mac doesn't boot.

With a new battery connected, it still sits at .042 though will boot when prompted, but doesn't get to charging current - sits below 1amp like there is no battery connected.

R7061/62 both at 1ohm and traces are fine.

system report see a battery is there but it's not charging, recommends servicing.

Is there something particular in the report that will help?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
What is the macOS version installed?
People claimed on Internet about such kind of battery issue after upgrading to Big Sur.
You may try flashing full known good BIOS (clean ME).

Maxibon

Hey mate - customer had the issue pop up on it's own without being after an update.

It's on 12.3 Monterey.

Is the A1706 the same as older macs for CLEAN ME? I need to use an aftermarket tool in order to do this? I don't have such tools, are you able to point me in the right direction.

Tried looking it up and all I can find it how to remove EFI password, nothing about clean ME for 820 - 00923

Maxibon

Thanks for that - I did find that myself, but I can't find clear details anywhere on how to actually flash, which is why I asked if there are tools I need to do this like Medusa... I can find the step by step for older boards like 820 - 00165 etc, but nothing for the 920 - 00928.

Do I need such a tool? I legit can't find anything on youtube, forums etc

Thanks.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Medusa is the simplest way.
But you can remove the SPI chip and use classic USB programmer; with WSON to DIP adapter.