ALIENWARE AREA 51M R1 NO POWER

kjchatman

i was able to backup the original kb9542 even though it was detected as a kb9010 with the rt809. Could you tell me if this file is corrupt or if the chp is defective

Attachments

• KB90XX_20220824_102808.zip
    71 KB · Views: 0

kjchatman

i'm new at working with non apple circuitry so when you say similar do you mean another dell with the same chipset as this model?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Should be good to get a dump from exact same board model.

I suppose one dump from a KB9524 may help you to compare also.
But will not confirm if your reading is good, or not.

kjchatman

i bought a board off ebay and it seems to have the same issue. pbtn_out# isn't 3v and doesn't pulse. Could this be a bad PCH?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
KBC controls this signal.
Is a low chance that PCH blocks it to work correctly.

Be sure other signals expected by KBC are good; like standby power, lid, charger presence, reset.

kjchatman

Can't seem to find the exact EC dump but i flashed it with a random file and now it powers up but the power button is flashing a error code and it doesn't post. Is there a bios recovery method that will correct the EC also?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
So EC ROM was indeed corrupted.
Many brands have EC ROM included in the main BIOS; not sure if is the case here.
Just search for coincidence between both; need to read main BIOS of your board, or find a dump on Internet.
You can also do a search inside the files extracted from official Dell update.

Upload somewhere the EC ROM actually used and your main BIOS.

kjchatman

I copied the EC from the other matching board and now this one is working. I forgot to mention that I also found and programmed files to UH4 UT2 AND UE2. i'm guessing that those three files will get the other board up and running

kjchatman

I still have no luck with the other board after writing to the firmware chips. I'm noticing that Pbtn_out is still missing. lid_sw# is 3v and VCIN1_AC_IN is 3v. I used the EC firmware from this one to make the other one work

Last edited:

kjchatman

it all seems to be EC related. I reinstalled the EC contents and now PBTN_OUT# is 3v but it doesn't pulse . I'll erase and reload it a few times and see what happens. At least I have one working board from all this

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Probably +3V_PCH is not maintained, or not even generated.

Check for pulse at PM_SLP signals, at same time.
Also check if EC_RSMRST# goes high.

kjchatman

the lack of signal EC_RSMRST# seems to be the root. it doesn't pulse or anything. pm_slp_s5 does pulse just like the rest of signals and inital voltages

kjchatman

+3V_PCH pulses at 3v then drops back to 0v. pbtn_out# doesn't pulse with the charger unless you hold down the power button for 10 seconds. then it goes from 3v to 0v and stays at 0v but when the power button is pressed it will pulse at 3v. Pbtn_out# will pulse right away with only the battery attached. What determines the EC_RSMRST signal?

Last edited: