Asus GA401IV, power on, black screen

daxxone

Came in for repair and would cut all power when on switch was pressed. Found UP9505S had pin 16 damage from an old liquid spill.IMG_20230705_162438.jpgIMG_20230705_162438.jpgreplaced the chip and fixed the pad. Powers on, keyboard lights up for a second. After about 10 seconds both fans max out. Hold power button will shut down after about 10 seconds. If battery and power cord are connected, it turns back on instantly. If battery is connected, plugging in charger powers it on.

GPU gets .8v and CPU gets nothing when powered on. I was thinking it's not repairable, but thought I'd check here if anyone may have any suggestions.

daxxone

Just getting beck to this today....

The BV was a help. Checked if BIOS recovery worked, and it doesn't, so before trying a manual programming, I have been checking around the replaced chip. R0609 has 1.8v at pin 1 but not pin 2. Tests 4.7k Ohm. If this is PWR OK, shouldn't 1.8v go all the way to pin 50 of UP9505S? I got 5v on pin 15, the EN, and 14, so I'm confused what I am missing here.

daxxone

I should mention pr8015 is only reading 3.4 ohm (6.4k should be on this), and pr8011 is only 154 ohm (23.2k should be on this). These are near the liquid effected area, so maybe I need to swap these out? I haven't found anything else this far off from specs in the schematic.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"If this is PWR OK, shouldn't 1.8v go all the way to pin 50 of UP9505S?"
A power good signal will don't go high before its related power rail is present.

Be aware of "in circuit" measurement for high value resistors.
The readings are affected by another components.
Move it a bit and let free one pin.
This way is easy to measure; trying to measure out of board, you may loss it.