BGA rework

gndl00p

I have watched Louis' video over Should I buy a BGA machine. However, I have a VERY large amount of iphone 6/6s/6+/6s+ touch IC failure and power IC failure coming to my shop. I am out in the west texas oilfields where people can be rough on gear. I have ran the numbers and it seems economically viable to purchase a machine to do this, however I am worried about the reliability and predictability with these repairs. Also if this truly is a direction I would like to go in what is the most appropriate equipment to purchase. I am not a fly by night repair shop, trust me :). So my question is should I do this? What do you think? If so is there a gold standard for equipment?

aprendiz

Just buy a good preheater, a good hot air station and you are done.... You don't need a large BGA machine to work on such small boards

aprendiz

Preheater and hot air station, in any situation for any iphone, large BGA machine only for GPU, Processor, PCH on any laptop or graphic card...

gndl00p

Last question. You see the semi auto $6k-25k that do just about everything and have the really neat optical alignment tools and then you have the simple infrared systems that just follow a heating profile and leave the rest to you. Are the simple IR stations just as capable of reliably completing a rework as the expensive machines, assuming the operator is qualified?

leonattpcs

The cheaper bga machines won't be capable enough. For the boards you talk about though, a good hot air station will be fine. By good hot air station, I mean at least a Hakko. I bought a Hakko FR810 then a metcal hct2-120. I have never spent so much on tools, but I use them every single day now and have easily paid for them by now by way of the repairs I wouldn't have been able to complete without them.